Rapid Response Project Officer (National Position) Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Officer Position is day-to-day implementation of the rapid response project portfolios, comprised of rapid assessments, Non-food Items (NFI) distributions and/or emergency cash activities. The Rapid Response Project Officer supervises the Rapid Response Assistants and supports them to implement their daily tasks and responsibilities. Leads the team in the field and ensures that the distribution sites are organized according to standard operating procedures. Leads field based multi-sectoral assessments in areas experiencing new displacements.
In addition, the Rapid Response Project Officer will be managing relations and Liaising with relevant local authorities, security forces and other key stakeholders and community leaders. Rapid Response Project Officer provides regular progress reports to Rapid Response Project Coordinator
The position will be based in Erbil with frequent visits to Mosul IDP camps.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field with 2-3 years` experience from working as a Project Officer and Project Management in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. The candidate should have documented results related to the position responsibilities. Fluency in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated Rapid Response project portfolio according to plan of action
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Monitors security events that could trigger displacements in the areas of interest.
- Responsible for the management of field teams and in charge of security for field teams.
- Responsible for the security of the staff in the field.
- Ensures project objectives are communicated to NRC’s beneficiaries during distributions.
- Liaise with the logistics/finance/security teams whenever needed in the NFI/cash distribution
- Ensures the items are available in the warehouse and transported to the field.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Overall good understanding of the political context in KRG, with focus on conflict zones.
- Overall good knowledge of geography, local population and local language in the areas of operational interests.
- Previous experience working with NFI and cash distributions in an NGO.
- Experience with conducting multi sectoral assessments.
- Ability to show leadership in a multi-cultural team.
- Competencies in all computer related tasks including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Good understanding of community participation, and very good ability to communicate with beneficiaries.
- Ability to manage high/low workload depending on emergencies.
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision in a challenging environment.
The post will be for (6) months contract duration (with possible extension).
Salary/benefits: 2,535,366 IQD gross salary with health insurance.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position
Duty Station: Erbil with frequent visits to Mosul Areas
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Humanitarian Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-02-25