Finance Officer (National Position) Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of a Finance Officer is to implement delegated area of responsibility. Finance Officer supports and Implement NRC’s financial systems and procedures at area level and supports the adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements. The position manages and supervises the finance Assistants.
The Finance Officer reports to the Finance Coordinator
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field, preferably in Finance, Accountancy and Economics. At least 1-2 years of experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting, including Finance capacity and systems development. Having experience from working in the field of Finance in humanitarian and recover/context. The candidate should have documented results related to the position responsibilities. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct. Good Knowledge in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support the Finance Coordinator / Support Manager for the Management of Area offices financial team
- Support the management to Implement anti corruption policy
- Support project staff in financial matters (budget, revision..)
- Support the program team to understand the financial reports and provide them with training.
- Verify the purchase requests and payment requests
- Download the budget versus actual weekly basis and share with the relevant staff
- Prepare the Project BVAs and do any rebooking, with the supporting documents
- Draft the new budgets. Check the Agresso for any reclassification.
- Experience from working as a Finance Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context will be preferred.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Knowledge about keeping the bank accounts and record keeping
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Analyzing skills
- Handling insecure environments
- Empowering and building trust
The post will be for (3) months contract duration (with possible extension).
Salary/benefits: 2,535,366 IQD gross salary with health insurance.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for the position
Duty Station: Erbil/ Some travelling will be required
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Supervisor
- Emergency Aid
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2017-03-01