Regional Project Management Advisor (RPMA)
Under the direct supervision of the AR Regional Director, and the indirect supervision of IPMG Head of Implementation Support on routine IPMG management matters, the Regional Project Management Advisor (RPMA) role is to provide support to the Regional Office and the Country Offices to increase project management capacity through: learning, recommendation, advice and assistance. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organizations performance and delivery goals.
The RPMA is responsible to support and oversee the delivery of better projects of our Country Offices through efficient implementation support, to improve project management capacities for strategic business development, to reinforce the use of project management standards, tools and training.
The RPMA will review all proposals submitted by Developers to the Engagement Acceptance process, providing expert comments on any related weakness, reputational or implementation risk found in the proposals or documents annexed.
The RPMA would likely be expected to provide expert advice on highly complex or risky multidisciplinary project(s) which will be delivering against aggressive timelines.
The RPMA is responsible to assure that all aspects of the project life cycle are being duly complied with. S/he must be able to influence and to advise Project Managers on project success criteria, which are related to:
- Stakeholder Management.- relationship with the project board, manage communications, and issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes.**
- Delivery and Performance.- develop and maintain project plans, including the establishment of milestones, to embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle, manage products required, advice for any deviations from the project plan, and identify potential business.**
- Procedures.- Follow the Project Management Life Cycle Instructions as established by UNOPS PM Methodology, and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions)**
- Knowledge Management.- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, sharing case studies, lessons learned and best practices on the Knowledge System and provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies and lessons learned from projects.**
- Core Values and Principles- Understand and respect UNOPS sustainability principles, understand and Respect National ownership and capacity and accountability for results and the use of resources.**
The RPMA will ensure that the regional portfolio produces the required products within the specified tolerance of time, cost, quality, scope, risk and benefits/impacts. The RPMA is also responsible for monitoring Project Management KPI’s as defined by IPMG and to contribute to the overall regional business targets and needs.
The RPMA main functions also include:
- Advise the RD and Regional Office team on the further development of the PM capacities in the regions.
- Participate in the Regional Management Team from the PM perspective.
- Support Regional Director in positioning UNOPS effectively as an authoritative / recognized regional PM partner.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
- Output - Regional Portfolio with planning, process and control improved (Projects with up to date Project Plans; Projects with established issue registers; Projects with established Lessons Learned registers; Projects completed on time; Projects with Blue File (Project Documentation) kept up-to-date.
- Output- Project Governance and control improved (Projects having an established governance structure) Projects being managed and reported by stages
- Output - Enhanced Regional Client Satisfaction. (Projects Progress Reports submitted on time**,**Projects issuing regular Client/ Donor satisfaction surveys, Communication to partners being distributed according to Project Communication Plan)
- Output - Enhanced Regional Management Team satisfaction. (Projects having up to date resource plans -procurement and HR Plans-; Projects Managers having Prince2 Practitioner Certificate; Projects Managers having attended PMFC)
- Output - Enhanced Regional Risk Management (Projects with up to date risk registers, risk responses being implemented as planned and being followed up on).
- Output - Enhanced Regional Cost Management (Projects having up to date Cash flows )
- Output - Enhanced Regional Benefit Management (Projects incorporating sustainability aspects from Pre-engagement on)
- Output - Enhanced Regional PM Practice (PM capacities enhanced across region)
- Advanced University Degree (Master´s level) in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline is required;
- University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A relevant combination of academic credentials (technical /professional license) and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education**.**
- PRINCE2® Foundation required
- PRINCE2® Practitioner is desired, successful candidate must complete it within first 6 months of onboarding
- Certified Senior Project Manager - International Project Manager Association (IPMA Level B) or Project Management Professional (PMP - PMI) is desired.
- Seven years or more (based on academic credentials) of progressive experience in project development and management, with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination in either public or private sector organizations, with 3 years’ experience at senior management level is required.
- Fluency in English is required.
- Fluency in another UN language is considered a valuable asset. **
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA
Contract level: I-ICA 3
Contract duration: one year initially, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace-building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Please apply via the link bellow:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Bangkok
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Project and Programme Management
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Closing Date: 2017-03-08