Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Field based position in Dohuk, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in consultation with the relevant Project Managers and in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan for the designated projects, including resource needs analysis, covering the time frame of the project proposal.
- Support relevant Project Managers in day-to-day decision making as requested.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects both in current sites and in surrounding regions. This may include baseline needs assessments.
- Support the Country Director in the development and production of new concepts and proposals.
- Develop, in consultation with the Deputy Country Director (DCD) and other senior field managers, an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Ensure all relevant documents related to the designated projects are produced and filed according to Medair and donor guidelines.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings (e.g. state and local government, sector-coordination and security) in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely and professional manner.
- Support field staff with humanitarian negotiations and expanding humanitarian access.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making any budget adjustment recommendations to the Deputy Country Director.
- Monitor the spending of the designated projects to ensure they operate in line with Medair and donor guidelines for financial accounting and reporting practices.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated projects are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, appraisal, objective setting, development and training, disciplinary action, etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching and through the promotion of capacity building of local staff.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff of the designated projects by ensuring the application of security guidelines, health and safety in the workplace and healthy living conditions and practices.
- Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies including INSO and Sicuro. Make reports, as appropriate, to the Country Director.
- Ensure all staff members working for the designated projects and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
- Train and support relevant Project Managers in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring.
- Lead the Dohuk Security Management Team (SMT) chairing weekly meetings and submitting SMT reports to the CD.
- Promote and use the Medair Box, Portfolio and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Field - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Live, work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills.
- Experience and willingness in training/mentoring staff.
- Good report and proposal writing skills, good negotiation skills.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible.
- Self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted
Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) roles in the field
- Professionals with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience (Experienced Relief Workers).
- Professionals with less than 12 months relevant relief or development experience (New Relief Workers).
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural experience.
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, local staff, and external contacts.
- Able to live and work in a multicultural team under difficult conditions.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit.
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- All potential candidates for field positions must successfully complete the Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC). Information, dates and related costs can be found via this link.
Benefits Package provided to all Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)
- Comprehensive briefing at our Swiss Headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing.
- Security training for those going to insecure environments.
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country.
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service).
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food).
- Annual leave.
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post-assignment coverage, including debriefing.
- Disability insurance.
Specific benefits for Experienced Relief Workers (IRS)
(Applicants with 12 months or more relevant relief or development experience)
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and experience of the position-holder, starting from USD 1,700 per month.
- Contribution matching programme for retirement savings.
- Additional contract benefit allowance for those who commit to longer contracts.
- Highly subsidised contribution to Medair ROC travel and accommodation costs.
- This is a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/project-coordinator-irq-dohuk/ then:
apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.
- Organization: Medair
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Junior - Internationally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Policy and Administration
- Operations and Administrations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Project and Programme Management
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Response and Recovery)
- Operations and Administrations
- Closing Date: 2017-04-17