Consultancy - Learning Specialist, NYHQ/DHR/ESRS (5 months)
New York City
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
In the humanitarian context, surge capacity relates to UNICEF's ability to scale-up quickly and effectively to meet UNICEF Core Commitments for Children in Emergencies (CCCs), in any given country or territory. UNICEF's surge capacity is comprised of internal and external workforce. A number of challenges that prevent from quickly and efficiently identifying and deploying Personnel have been mapped out. This project aims at addressing some of these challenges. By identifying National Officers (NOs) in the areas of nutrition, child protection and education (the 3 top needs in terms of surge and where available capacity is limited), and by reinforcing their capacity, UNICEF will avail of a pool of highly suitable staff available to be deployed to provide support to emergency countries.
With a view to strengthening UNICEF's surge capacity in the areas of nutrition, child protection and education, the project aims at mapping national staff capacity, identifying learning options and strengthening their capacity by undergoing tailored training.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Under the general supervision of the Chief, Emergencies and Surge Recruitment Section, the consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Preparation of workplan for the project and methodology for selection of prospective participants
- Identification of objective eligibility criteria for participating in the project, in collaboration with substantive experts (nutrition Child Protection and education)
- Development of Global Call requesting eligible NOs to express interest
- Review of applications and development of tools to map skills and capture profiles
- Propose list of candidates (NOs) in the areas of nutrition, child protection and education
- Identification of minimum package of training/ Self-learning activities in collaboration with substantive experts, and, agreement on timeframe to complete (suggestion: 4 months)
- Communication to NOs informing them of their selection in the programme and of the training/self-learning activities to undertake
- Monitor completion of training/self-learning activities
- Development in collaboration with substantive experts (nutrition, child protection and education) of assessments to assess acquired knowledge
- Conduct assessments at the end of the training period in collaboration with substantive experts
- Identification and preparation of final list of candidates who will be part of a surge pool
- Identification of mechanisms, in collaboration with NOs' supervisor, to ensure their timely release when NOs are needed to provide support to surge assignment
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
- Advanced University degree/ first degree in social sciences, human resources/business management or other related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience in organisational development, learning or career development. Work experience in Change Management and/or programme design is desirable.
- Knowledge of the UN System is an asset.
- Versatility, judgment, maturity, and the ability to work on a team.
- Ability to cope with stressful and difficult conditions, and political/cultural sensitivity.
- Good analytical, negotiating, writing and communication skills.
- Skills in interviewing techniques.
- Ability to work in an international or multicultural environment.
- Proven experience to implement time limited projects.
- Knowledge of computer management and applications.
- Fluency in English and a second UN language preferred.
- Candidates must submit their daily rate when applying
- Candidates are requested to submit proposed daily fees in US$
- Please indicate your daily/monthly rate. Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be accepted
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-03-09