VN 2017/46 (P) - Sr Regnal Migrant Assistance Specialist (P4) -SanJose,CostaRica
Position Title Senior Regional Migrant Assistance Specialist
Duty Station : San Jose, Costa Rica
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision and guidance of the Regional Director for Central America, North America, and the Caribbean and the thematic oversight of the Migrant Assistance Division in headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will act as a regional thematic resource person; monitor and analyse regional thematic trends; supports regional thematic project development, and reviews and endorses projects related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the region. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support to Country Offices (CO) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring. 2. Determine regional strategies in thematic programming with Field Offices and Member States and support the development of complementary national strategies.
Page 1 / 43. Provide technical expert advice to governments and other agencies working with MAD issues and strengthen the knowledge base relating to thematic area.
4. Identify emerging issues relevant to the thematic area and develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the thematic area and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas in close coordination with the Regional Project Development Officer (RPDO), where available.
5. Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by CO in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQ Division on projects endorsed. Ensure that all endorsed projects are:
a) consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization’s policies, thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies; b) coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective migration/thematic area(s);
c) developed according to IOM’s project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects.
6. Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of RTSs globally, analyze and share best practices with relevant HQ Divisions and CO.
7. Develop regional thematic guidance notes, information sheets and policy documents in coordination with the RPLO, CO and relevant HQ Division(s).
8. Provide thematic guidance to Project Managers through sharing information with the CO at the regional level and providing general technical support upon request from the Field in coordination with the RPLO.
9. Ensure the delivery of quality thematic training to governments as required by CO in the region.
10. Act as officer-in-charge in the absence of the Regional Director, as required. 11. Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings related to the thematic area of expertise, as required by the Regional Director and promote its policy vision, and promote its policy vision and strategy internally and with externals partners.
12. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
• Demonstrated high level of expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development; • Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
Page 2 / 4• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience of regional issues a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 05 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Page 3 / 4your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.02.2017 to 05.03.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/46 (P) - Sr Regnal Migrant Assistance Specialist (P4) -SanJose,CostaRica (54973668) Released
Posting: Posting NC54978702 (54978702) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: San José
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-03-05