CON 2017/07- Consultant - Local Development and DDR North Niger- Niamey, Niger
Position Title Consultant - Local Development and DDR North Niger Duty Station :Niamey, Niger
Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, 2 months
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible Closing Date : 01 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of MRRM program manager and the overall supervision of the IOM
Chief of Mission, the consultant will work mainly on two axes: (i) draft a feasibility and implementation strategy of the Agadez regional development plan (PDR) for 2016-2020 covering the Bilma-Dirkou-Séguedine corridor in the extreme northern region of Niger (ii) in the target area, identify possible economic alternatives for migrants smugglers.
The consultancy will last five weeks: three weeks in the field - one week in Niamey and two weeks in Agadez region to consult with local actors - and two weeks to draft the final report. The above-mentioned activities are part of the MIRAA project, financed by the Dutch government. The project aims to contribute to the strengthening of the Government management and governance of migration and to ensure the protection of migrants in an area with limited humanitarian presence.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Draft a feasibility and implementation strategy of the Agadez Regional Development Plan (PDR) for 2016-2020 covering the Bilma-Dirkou-Séguedine corridor.
2. Identify and analyze the economic activities that can provide actual alternatives to migrant smugglers involved in migrants smuggling activities in the Bilma-Dirkou-Séguedine corridor; 3. Identify the obstacles and opportunities labor market in the target area. Include the role of cultural and informal rules (gender or disability) in the target area; 4. Identify the technical skills demanded on the labor market and determine the smugglers’ capacities focusing on education, technical skills and assets;
5. Map the actors present in the target area (government agencies, NGOs, OI/UN, private sector, diaspora) and ongoing activities/project in order to identify possible synergies; and 6. Draft a final written report including all the above mentioned aspects, recommendations and conclusions.
Deliverables - Date
Page 1 / 3• First draft for the Agadez PDR’s feasibility and implementation strategy - After 2 weeks • First draft of the analyses on economic alternatives for smugglers in the Bilma-Dirkou-Seguedine corridor-After 3 weeks
• Second version including IOM’s comments - After 4 weeks
• Final report - End of contract
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in Political Science, Economics, or Internationals Relations. Experience
• Ten years of experience in implementation of development projects, vocational training and support to local economy
• Experience in DDR – Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration and support to micro-enterprises and capacity building in developing countries.
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
How to apply:
system, by 01 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html Page 2 / 3In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.02.2017 to 01.03.2017
Requisition: CON 2017/07- Consultant - Local Development and DDR North Niger- Niamey, Niger (54976938) Released
Posting: Posting NC54979032 (54979032) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey
- Grade: OTHE
- Closing Date: 2017-03-01