VN 2017/52 (P) - Head, Online Communications Unit (P3) - Manila, Philippines
Position Title Head, Online Communications Unit
Duty Station :Manila, Philippines Classification Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
The Media and Communications Division (MCD) is looking for an experienced and creative online communications manager with knowledge of migration issues, and an ability to contribute to IOM’s online presence, preferably in the institution’s three official languages. The successful candidate will serve as the Head of IOM’s Online Communications Unit (OCU) based in Manila, Philippines, and will contribute to the editorial content of IOM’s external websites and online communication channels. S/he will work under the general supervision of the Spokesperson and Head of Media and Communications Division (MCD) at Headquarters (HQs) in coordination with the Director of the Manila (Global) Administrative Centre. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Research and propose new online communication strategies and prepare information to be used across the Organization on the importance of online communications, including social media, to effectively reach and engage with external audiences.
2. Review and edit content for IOM’s external websites and online communication channels in close collaboration with MCD colleagues in Geneva, Regional Offices and through regular Page 1 / 3contact with other colleagues in HQ and field missions worldwide. 3. Develop a process and web-based kit and tools to improve mainstreaming of humanitarian communications within IOM missions and projects.
4. Work closely with MCD colleagues to raise awareness of OCU’s key role in communicating IOM messages to external audiences in order to generate corporate buy-in, ownership and resulting in improved content.
5. Assist with online monitoring/tracking, and regularly discuss with MCD colleagues ways to assess and mitigate reputational risk and potential crises in the social media sphere. 6. Work closely with the Information and Communication Technology Division to ensure technical support meets OCU’s needs.
7. Manage the work and staff of the Unit, including quality control and performance management, staffing and budget proposals, recruitment assistance, and coaching. 8. Provide advice and guidelines to field offices on the development of national and regional websites.
9. Provide technical inputs with respect to IOM’s commitment to joint website initiatives such as the Global Forum for Migration and Development, Global Migration Group, and others. 10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in public information, web editing, mass media communication and/ or journalism; • Proven writing and editing skills, and a strong command of English, with an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct and lively style;
• In-depth knowledge of international trends and political, social and economic issues related to migration and humanitarian assistance;
• Demonstrated experience in strategic communication planning and website development; • Strong grasp of the web and social media and its use within a large Organization. Languages
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; Page 2 / 3• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 24.02.2017 to 09.03.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/52 (P) - Head, Online Communications Unit (P3) - Manila, Philippines (54983903) Released
Posting: Posting NC54983923 (54983923) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Manila
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Closing Date: 2017-03-09