CIP China for Asia Pacific Deputy Leader-Operations
International Potato Center POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT
Ref.: 17-12 DL/IRS/CCCAP
CIP China for Asia Pacific Deputy Leader – Operations The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a highly skilled, results-oriented Deputy Leader- Operations for the CIP China Center for Asia Pacific Region (CCCAP), working in close partnership with the CIP China Deputy Director General to efficiently manage an expanding operation in China and the SE Asia region.
The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweetpotato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor. CIP is dedicated to achieving food security, improved well-being, and gender equity for poor people in root and tuber farming and food systems of the developing world. CIP works with partners to contribute high quality science, technology, and capacity strengthening for sustainable science-based solutions. CIP is headquartered in Lima, Peru, with staff and activities in over 30 locations across Asia, Africa, and Latin America. CIP is a member of the CGIAR consortium. CGIAR is a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future. Its science is carried out by the 15 research centers who are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. CCCAP is in the process of opening a sizeable R&D facility in Beijing (Yanqing District). See the below photos of the campus.
This position will be based in Beijing, China and will have dual reporting lines to the CIP China Deputy Director General and the CIP Chief Operating Officer (COO). The purpose of this position is to provide operational oversight and management for the soon-to-be-opened CIP research facility in Yanqing 1(Beijing) and Beijing downtown office, ensure fundraising resources are sufficiently mobilized and manage operational responsibilities for CIP’s activities in SE Asia (currently Vietnam, Philippines and Indonesia). This role will entail close collaboration with CIP operations and research leaders in Lima Headquarters and occasional travel.
Duties and Responsibilities:
CCCAP Staffing and Business Plan Execution
- Partner with the CCCAP Director and CIP Lima senior management, take ownership for both leading and supporting the implementation of CCCAP’s business plan.
- Work with the CCCAP Director, CCCAP Research Leader, and senior CIP leaders in Lima, take the lead in executing the recruiting process, hiring, relocation and necessary support in line with the CCCAP staffing and business plans.
- Work closely with the CCCAP Director in meetings with the Chinese government to ensure timely approvals of necessary requirements for start-up and operation of the research and office facilities in China.
- Provide administrative supervision to CCCAP operations staff in Beijing, Yanqing and SE Asia.
- Ensure CIP’s administrative systems are functioning effectively and CCCAP complies with all CIP operational policies and procedures.
- Steer CCCAP operations towards conformity with national and international legal and policy frameworks and represent the regional perspective in CIP’s corporate planning.
- Collaborate closely with CIP’s research leadership to ensure coordinated, efficient, and effective opening, operation and management of the Yanqing research facilities.
CCCAP Corporate Planning and Resource Mobilization
- Mobilize human, financial, and other resources to support successful research in China and the Asia region.
- Partner with the CIP’s Director of Resource Mobilization in Lima and CCCAP’s leadership team to identify opportunities for successful fundraising from government, domestic and international donors and the private sector, allowing CCCAP and the Yanqing facility to operate at a level envisioned in the CCCAP 2017-2019 business plan and CIP’s strategic and corporate plan.
- Work closely with the CCCAP Research Leader (“Chief Scientist”) and the CCCAP Director to support the operational needs of priority research areas to meet CIP’s vision for China, the Asia region and global requirements.
- Lead development, execution and monitoring of CIP’s strategic corporate plan based on an assessment of the key resource requirements to achieve target research outputs and outcomes. 2Selection Criteria:
We seek a highly collaborative and service oriented executive with work experience in China and SE Asia building strong and sustainable teams, organizational structures, and processes that yield world class efficiency and effectiveness.
The ideal candidate will have most if not all of the following skills, knowledge, experience and personal characteristics:
- Educational credentials that contribute to the candidate’s capacity for success, such as an MBA and/or PhD.
- A confidence-inspiring history of successfully managing operations and administrative functions, fundraising– preferably in China but also SE Asia.
- Experience working in a matrix organizational structure.
- Solid financial management skills and metrics-based management accountability expertise.
- Experience in the agricultural, biotechnology, food or closely related sector is preferred but not required.
- A track record of successfully managing and improving the culture, efficiency and effectiveness of a scientific research or business organization.
- The ability to think strategically, balanced with tactical leadership and implementation skills and a date-driven, analytical, and action-oriented mind-set.
- Is able to understand the culture of scientific organizations to support the operational needs of CIP’s research teams.
- A results-driven, forward-looking, market-savvy attitude and perspective.
- Outstanding listening skills and the ability to build consensus quickly and make decisions in collaboration with other internal stakeholders.
- The ability to work through others in a multi-cultural environment, to multi-task and work under tight deadlines, to inspire excellence among staff, to promote teamwork, and to lead by example.
- A heart for international development work.
- High physical and intellectual energy and sense of urgency.
- English language fluency both oral and written is a must and fluency in Mandarin Chinese is strongly preferred.
Conditions: Employment contract will be for a three-year term with possibility of renewal. Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. CIP provides additional benefits, including employer-paid medical, life and disability insurance and retirement benefits. Allowances towards relocation, housing, home leave travel, dependents’ education and annual leave are also provided. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth.
Applications: Applicants should apply online through CIP’s Job Opportunities website
(http://cipotato.org/open-vacancies/), including a cover letter, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on March 24, 2017 and will continue until the 3position is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Learn more about CIP by accessing our web site at http://www.cipotato.org
CIP is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified women and professionals from developing countries are particularly encouraged to apply
- Organization: CIP - International Potato Center
- Location: Beijing
- Grade: Level not specified
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-24