Kenya/Somalia - Wash Coordinator : emergency draught and hunger crisis
Starting date : ASAP
Duration: 1 month renewable as soon as donor contracts are secured
Base: Nairobi with field visits
The lives of about 20 millions of people are threatened by famine in the Horn of Africa, in the next 6 months. Indeed, while all food security and nutrition indicators (FSNAU, 02/2017) reveal that 6.2 million are in need of an urgent humanitarian assistance today, the projections for the upcoming year are profoundly alarming.
For the first time in decades, four countries have simultaneously alerted on the upcoming disaster, calling for help. Indeed, Yemen, Nigeria, Somalia and South Sudan have voiced their need of food assistance earlier this month, exposing the dreadful rates of pre-famine of their respective countries.
But the entire region is waving a red flag, with a particular warry concerning Somalia and northern and coastal Kenya regions, which have witnessed the highest deficit of rainfalls in 2016.
Not only is it the third consecutive year of drought in the region, with a population suffering from very low harvesting stocks and food shortages, but the lack of rain has also impacted on water resources and has severely reduced the availability of water for human and livestock consumption.
Repeated cycles of climatic shocks, ongoing armed conflicts and insufficient recovery periods in the Horn of Africa have exhausted people’s capacity to cope with shock. Time is running out and help is needed now.
To support our coordination team in Nairobi preparing to address these profoundly alarming issues, we are looking for : a WASH Coordinator in charge of supporting the mission design new WASH programs which will help address emergency and long term needs of populations affected by the drought.
The WASH Coordinator will:
- Contribute to the mission’s operational strategy in response to the drought in collaboration with technical coordinators in charge of other sectors
- Design WASH interventions based on sound field assessments and data from Kenya and Somalia
- Participate in humanitarian coordination meetings in order to contribute to a harmonized and coordinated response to the drought
- Provide technical support to the field teams to ensure the quality of ongoing programs
CV + Cover letter
- Organization: Solidarités International
- Location: Kenya
- Grade: Mid level
- Humanitarian Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-03-31