Human Resources Officer
Background Information - Job-specific
As an active supporter of the UN peacekeeping missions/operations, Britain has supported the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) over the course of multiple deployments towards alleviating the humanitarian crisis situation in South Sudan.
The current engagement foresees deployment of engineering troops to Malakal and Bentiu in support of major infrastructure undertakings such as a level2 hospital in Bentiu and a pier in Malakal.
In relation to Britain’s contribution to carrying out these tasks, UNOPS has been requested to provide camp services, materiel and maintenance for the UK engineering troops in Malakal and Bentiu. The envisaged deployment of engineering troops is 300.The Human Resources Officer reports to Project Manager through Project Support Officer, she/he will be a key member of the project team that provides a range of implementation human reasources services to ensure rapid and compliant delivery of all aspects of the HR support to the Individual Contractors (ICA) and Staff, including recruitments, support and guidance on HR policies, entitlements and benefits, performance management systems, leave requests and monitoring. The HR Officer promotes a collaborative, client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring that the project abides by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Summary of Key Functions
- Effective human resource administration
- Recruitment processes
- Administration of contracts, benefits and entitlements, leave monitoring
- Planning and development
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Detailed functions focusing on achievement of the following results: Ensure full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNOPS policies, procedures and strategies; help establish effective implementation of the internal control and functioning of the portfolio HR service.
Actively work with the portfolio management team to coordinate and implement the different HR work streams, and interact with and support portfolio, within delegated authority.
Within delegated responsibility, manage human resource activities, e.g., recruitment (including annual recruitment plans), drafting job descriptions, obtaining job classification, posting vacancy announcements, assisting hiring managers with screening of candidates, organization of interview panels, placement, separation of personnel, training etc., ensuring consistency in the application of UNOPS rules and procedures.
Manage and coordinate the preparation of HR work plans, budgeting, and progress monitoring and reporting.
Reviews and coordinates incoming requests relating to recruitments, contract extensions, transfers, exchange or loan, and separation of staff, consultants, or contractors, ensuring documentation is complete and in conformity with HR policies and procedures.
Develops and implements tracking tools to monitor recruitment status and other indicators for management and recruitment purposes.
Monitors and tracks status of requests, initiating follow-up action to ensure selection review submission is timely, accurate, and contains complete documentation.
Reviews and prepares Requests for Personnel Action (RPA) forms to ensure correct budget allocation, and for separating staff, verification that no financial obligations are due to UNOPS.
Reviews consultants' qualifications and experience and drafting of Terms of Reference; determining daily remuneration to be paid in accordance with the established fee schedule.
Briefs staff and consultants regarding entry details, conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, privileges and entitlements, and quick action to facilitate their taking up the assignment on a timely basis.
Prepares offer of appointment as well as the salary/fee computation for review.
Administration of contracts in online systems, including monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, etc. within delegated responsibility.
Liaison with UNOPS HQ HR and Global Shared Service Centre (GSSC) as required for contract administration following Standard Operating Procedures.
Preparation and/or review of individual contractor agreement submission requests to Contracts Committees, in accordance with established policy and procedures.
Supports the leave and absences for the Portfolio Team, clients and partners, ensuring that leave records are always correctly maintained and up-to-date (an Audit requirement).
Establishment and implementation of a system for monitoring and tracking transactions to ensure timely, consistent and equitable provision of services with a client focus.
Production of statistical reports and preparation of data required for policy and issues papers.
Planning, organizing and making logistical arrangements for workshops, corporate meetings and retreats as directed.
Support to effective learning management and individual learning plans in collaboration with the senior management.
Development and secure maintenance of the HR recording and archiving systems in accordance with UNOPS record retention policies.
Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in human resources.
Perform other related duties as instructed by supervisor.
Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNOPS and a learning environment in the office through personal example.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Knowledge and experience of project and portfolio management operations and ability to link knowledge to UNOPS HR policies, processes and frameworks.
- Proven track record of successfully supporting/implementing a broad range of HR support services, ensuring efficient and effective project delivery, adapting to the needs of the client.
- Experience with both ICA and FTA recruitments, including knowledge of what is required from a UNOPS 'pre-clearance' perspective and experience from HQCPC/LCPC submissions and deliberations
- Understanding of UNOPS business, operational environment and its clients as well as the UN mandate.
- Ability to promote integrity and business ethics; demonstrate judgment, trust and open communication; ability to ensure effective team work, collaborative behaviour and team spirit.
- Ability to develop collaborative relationship with external partners and highly respected by peers and staff throughout the organization as well as by clients and other partners.
Communications and Management
- Demonstrates maturity and an ability to manage partner needs and requests, based on strong understanding of UNOPS HR processes and systems to ensure efficient and effective service delivery.
- Builds strong relationships with SSOC Programme Management Officer (PMO) and Project teams and clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Accountability and ability to perform functions under pressure and in a politically sensitive environment, with a proven ability to deal with a complex and demanding client.
- Analytical and communication skills, including ability to plan and execute multiple parallel HR processes.
- Global mind-set with sensitivity to diverse culture/workforce and a high level of energy and enthusiasm for leading a self-financing service organization within the UN system**.**
- HR Planning ( 2 years)
- Recruitment and Selection ( 2 years)
- MS Office ( 5 years)
- Contract Management
- Developing of Standard Operating Procedures
- Hardship experience
- International exposure
- Strategic Analysis and Planning
- Public Relations
- Advisory Services
- A minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing HR services and/or management or administration of human resources is required;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2010 and/or newer versions) is required;
- PRINCE2 Foundation Certificate is highly desired;
- Experience in a conflict/post-conflict environment is highly advantageous, prior experience in South Sudan is an asset;
- Knowledge of UN/UNOPS HR rules and regulations, policies and procedures is an advantage;
- Flexibility and adaptability to work under pressure and meet specific deadlines is desired;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment is desired.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English required,
- Fluency in another UN languages is an advantage.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type:**International Individual Contractor Agreement**
- Contract level: IICA- 2
- Contract duration:**1 Year, with possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and funds availability.**
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information -South Sudan
The UNOPS South Sudan office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the South Sudanese people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All UNOPS operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. UNOPS is working in a range of sectors in South Sudan including: transport, education, health, post-conflict stabilization and emergency response.
To apply for UNOPS vacancy, please create a UNOPS Jobs Account. This involves submitting details such as personal information, education, experience, languages, skills and other information.
On how to create a profile, click here.
Please note that your profile does not need to be completed all at once, it can be saved and updated on an ongoing basis. All vacancies close at midnight CET time.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Sudan
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Human Resources
- Closing Date: 2017-03-05