Turkey (Syria mission) - Logistics Coordinator - Gaziantep
Posted on: 21/02/2017
Desired start date: ASAP
Duration of the mission: 6 months renewable
Humanitarian situation / SI intervention
The ongoing Syrian Civil War, inspired by the Arab Spring revolutions, began in 2011 as a chain of peaceful protests, followed by violent crackdowns by the Syrian security forces. Within a few months period the political protests turned into an armed conflict opposing the Syrian army and its supporter (Iran, Hezbollah etc.) to various armed groups, dominated by Sunni Muslims whereas the leading government figures are Alawites. Those armed groups are however not homogenous some of them, called moderate formed the free Syrian Army (FSA) are supported by western countries, other armed groups, more preeminent on the battlefield are Islamic groups, funded by Golf monarchies, some of these groups having strong ties with Al-Qaeda, without mentioning ISIL (Syrian Branch of ISIS) which took advantage of the situation to take control over large spans of the country. As of end of 2016, a number of pseudo state entities have emerged in the country, including the Syrian Opposition, The Federation of northern Syria and ISIL. Most of these factions receive strong support from foreign actor, regional and global powers leading the conflict to a proxy war, far away from Syrian people interests, civilian populations paying the high price. At the end of 2016, 312,000 people (between 31,200 and 437,000, based on SORH data) have died because of the conflict and 4,8 million Syrian people are displaced in the surrounding countries, while 1,2 million people are seeking for asylum in other countries. Inside the country, 13,5 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance (5,8 of which are children) and 6,3 million people have moved inside Syria, where 69% of the population is now living in condition of extreme poverty.
In 2017, the contribution of SI to support the population in the north of Syria focuses on three axes of intervention: a Rapid Response Mechanism to provide IDPs and host communities with timely, multi-sectorial assistance (protection, health, WASH, NFI, and shelter) in the Al Bab District, and in the Azaz or Afrin Districts when necessary. This program will be implemented thanks to partnerships with actors specialised in protection and health who will complement the SI intervention. The second action will provide access to basic social services (health and WASH) for IDPS, returnees and host populations in the Azaz District (Azaz, Suran, Akhtrein, and Marea). Finally, the third series of activities will improve the livelihood and resilience in the more stable Azaz District.
About the job:
Within the Syria mission and under the supervision of the Head of Mission, the Logistic Coordinator pilots logistics activities of the mission to ensure the smooth running of SI programs in Syria as well as the efficient functioning of the coordination office in Turkey. He (she) ensures the implementation of SI procedures and logistics tools on the mission and ensures their compliance and their proper use in a context of remote operations. He, (she) contributes to adapt SI tool and monitoring strategies to the remote nature of the intervention in Syria. He helps define the mission strategy, drafting and design projects necessary means and activities SI. He (she) supports the Head of Mission and Humanitarian Access manager in managing operational safety. He is the referent on the mission and the link between headquarters and the mission for any issue related to logistics.
Specific tasks of the position:
- Strategic orientation of the Logistic department
- Management, supervision and Training of the logistic Team ( Turkey and Syria)
- Management / Supervision of Purchase / supply processes and sending of goods in Syria
- Fleet Management (car generators etc…)
- Management of Technical, communication, IT equipment
- Supervision / management of stocks
- Reporting / Capitalization
- Support the HoM for implementation of security regulations
- To Monitor ensure enforcement, improve when necessary the remote management procedure
- Complete the training of the logistic assistant
- Ensure pre-defined communication Channels are respected
- With the Log Support, Follow-up the training of the Logistic team in Azaz
- With the Log Support Follow-up the training of the Logistic Asst in the new base
- Launch the supply processes for the ECHO RRM project (if funded)
- Launch framework agreement for the NFI and hygiene kit purchases
- Minimum 3 years’ experience with INGO specialized in humanitarian assistance, with at least 1 year in a position of Logistic coordinator
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, preferably with experience in supporting emergency response
- Experience in remote management would be an asset
- Experience in managing teams and building staff capacity
- A keen understanding and experience in the Middle East (particularly on the Syria crisis) would be a strong asset
- Problem solving and analytical skills with the ability to assess challenges and recommend solutions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to delegate
- Good sense of humor and great team member
- Fluent English: speaking, reading and writing skills
- Arabic is an asset
A salaried post: according to experience from 2.000 euros gross per month, plus 10% annual leave allowance paid monthly, and a monthly Per Diem of 700 USD.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
For further information about SI, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
CONTACT: Corinne LORIN, Recruiting & Follow Up Officer
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English. CV only applications will not be considered.
NB : The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension
- Organization: Solidarités International
- Location: Turkey
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-03-31