Songdo, Republic of Korea
The Green Climate Fund (“the GCF”) is a multilateral fund created to make a significant and ambitious contribution to the global efforts towards attaining the goals set by the international community to combat climate change.
The Fund will contribute to the achievement of the ultimate objective of the United Nations Framework ConventiononClimateChange(UNFCCC). Inthecontextof sustainabledevelopment,theFundwillpromote the paradigm shift towards low-emission and climate-resilient development pathways by providing support to developing countries to limit or reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the impacts of climate change, taking into account the needs of those developing countries particularly vulnerable to the adverse effects of climate change.
The Fund is governed by a Board, composed of an equal number of members from developed and developing countries and it is operated by an independent Secretariat headed by an Executive Director and pursues a country-driven approach in its operations.
TheFundisestablishinganOmbudspersonfunctiontoprovidetheFund’sstaffwithaconfidential,impartial, informal and independent setting to discuss and resolve work related complaints, disputes and issues. The Fund is therefore seeking an experienced and qualified Ombudsperson. The appointment will be as an international Consultant working part-time, remotely, for an initial period of 12 months. The Consultant will be required to visit the Fund’s offices in Songdo, South Korea, periodically.
While maintaining neutrality and impartiality the Ombudsperson shall provide assistance in the resolution of staff complaints related to the work place, including but not limited to conditions of employment, administration of benefits and managerial practices. The Ombudsperson does not have decision-making powersortheauthoritytosetasidedecisionsmadebytheFund,butmayguidepartiesinpotentialandactive conflictsandassistin identifyingand informingthe Fundof systematicissues andproposerelevantactions to be taken.
The Ombudperson function is independent, and the jobholder shall report to the Fund’s Executive Director. All discussions and contacts by staff members with the Ombudsperson shall be kept absolutely confidential. Duties and responsibilities
- Establish means for staff members to remotely contact the Ombudsperson in a convenient and confidential manner;
- Inform the staff of the Fund of the function of the Ombudsperson;
- Offer consultation to individual staff members on questions related to e.g. to policy issues, conditions of employment and the working environment;
- Help staff members identify, understand and explore different options and solutions to work place issues; Facilitate conflict resolutions, using conciliation, mediation or other appropriate means;
- Make impartial, suggestions and recommendations, as appropriate, on actions needed, taking into account the rights and obligations of the Fund and the staff member concerned; and
- Provide a report to the Executive Director, and as relevant to the Fund’s Staff Council, on generic and systematic issues that affect the Fund.
Required experience and qualifications
- An advanced degree in law, HR management or another relevant field;
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in multicultural and international work environments;
- At least 5 years of experience as an Ombudsperson in a similar setting to the GCF;
- A thorough understanding of the legal framework of international organizations, including dispute resolution mechanisms of international organizations;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Demonstrated ability in problem-solving, facilitation, negotiation and mediation;
- Highly credible, with recognized integrity and the ability to maintain absolute confidentiality;
- Strong judgement; and
- Fluency in English essential; knowledge of another United Nations language is an advantage.
Applications fromwomen and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged. Interestedcandidates are requiredto sendan e-mail attaching their CVanda letterof interest ina single file to: email@example.com
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g.Olsson, Anna)
Subject line: “Ombudsperson”
Please indicate yourearliest availability to take up the assignment.
Closing date for applications is 14March 2017 (KST). Applications submitted after the closing datemay not be considered.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Grade: International Consultant
- Closing Date: 2017-03-31