Security Officer (National Position), Kirkuk Office
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the position is to implement NRC’s safety and security policies at area office level and conduct regular security and risk assessments to identify safety and security needs in all NRC Erbil office, Guest houses and operational areas.
The security officer will be reporting to Area Manager (Technical report to Country Security Focal Point).
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate in relevant field with at least 1-2 years of experience from working as a security officer in a humanitarian/recovery context. The candidate ideally should have previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Fluency in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that minimum operating security standards and procedures are implemented in the office.
- Ensure vehicle and staff movements are monitored according to procedures and that necessary safety and security equipment are available and in a good condition
- Proactively contact members of this information network to collect information on security in order to provide advice to the AM and CSFP (Country Security Focal Point) on day to day security issues
- Immediately report all breaches of safety and security procedures and all threats to NRC staff, beneficiaries, activities or assets.
- Conduct security risk assessments of new areas, locations, premises in Erbil and reports to the Area Manager and CSFP.
- Maintain close vigilance on the local political and military situation in the region and keep the AM informed on regular basis
- Analytical skills and experience
- Awareness of gender and culture issues
- Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Knowledge of the political situation in KRI-Iraq
- Strong organizational and team working skills.
The post will be for (12) months contract duration (Subject to fund).
Salary/benefits: 2,535,366 IQD gross salary with health insurance.
Duty Station: Kirkuk with some travels to field offices.
For more information, please find attached the Job Description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kirkuk
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Security and Safety
- Closing Date: 2017-03-15