Monitoring & Evaluation Manager - Somalia
The NRC Somalia Country Programme is part of the NRC Horn of Africa, Yemen, Uganda and South Sudan regional mission.Prioritized activities focus on shelter and infrastructure construction; water, hygiene and sanitation; emergency education including youth education; food security; protection and information, counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA).
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The role of the M&E Manager is to establish and implement systems that promote evidence-based decision-making, programme and project performance, and internal management. The M+E Manager will contribute to quality programming through supporting access to and use of relevant and timely information on programme scale, relevance, and effectiveness. Within this context, the M+E Manager will provide technical support to in-country staff pertaining to M+E and build capacity in the country mission by identifying and supporting the implementation of effective, cost efficient and meaningful M&E systems.
The M & E Manager reports to the Head of Programme.
- Generic Responsibilities
- Adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Responsible for design, development and implementation of M&E systems, including M&E SOPs, guidance and tools.
- Advise management on M+E solutions/options in the design of M&E staffing, resourcing and budgeting for M&E, and M+E priorities for the country office.
- Participate in programme design and proposal discussions, including theory of change development, log frame design and budgeting for M+E.
- Support programme staff in planning for and executing M+E, including, data collection methodology and tools and data management, analysis and use.
- Support the implementation, dissemination and use of evaluations, assessments and monitoring data in programme development, adjustment or review.
- Contribute to organisational learning through supporting specific analysis, lessons learned and reports.
- Management of the M+E team
- Capacity building and training of programme and M+E support staff on M+E technical and conceptual areas.
- Supervise and mentor M+E support staff in executing M+E plans.
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Design, lead, and manage process to establish CO and program level M+E systems, including design/revision of the CO M+E SOPs and support on designing/transitioning M+E staffing structure and M+E resourcing
- Develop and/or participate in development of guidance and frameworks for CO procedures, policies and processes that assist in institutionalizing and supporting M+E in the country mission and/or NRC globally
- Program Support
- Support the Head of Programme and Country Director in advocating for M+E support from donors, partners, and in Country Strategy to ensure M+E remains a high priority in the country program
- Provide leadership and support to program managers in planning and standardizing M+E across projects
- Support program managers in developing data collection methodology and tools, and systems for on-going data analysis
- Ensure that monitoring data are feed into management decisions and used in program management
- Actively contribute to all aspects of the recruitment process for new program and M+E staff in the country office to ensure that the M+E capacity needed in various positions are considered during hiring
- Capacity building and training of program and M+E support staff on M+E technical and conceptual areas
- Support internal improvement processes (LEAN, Macro Log Frams etc.) according to need
- Serve as primary contact for HO M+E Advisors, support efforts to enhance agency M+E systems and standards
- Communication and disseminate NRC M+E standards and guidelines
- Coordinate with M+E focal points in other country missions in developing best practices and sharing lessons learned
- Liaise with peer organizations and M+E staff in partner agencies to facilitate lessons learned and coordination
- Support the Programme Department in new initiatives
- Generic professional competencies for this position:
- At least 2-3 years’ experience in creating and leading the implementation of M&E systems for an international NGO
- At least 5 years’ experience working in an emergency or post-conflict setting Thorough experience with and knowledge of principles and current approaches to monitoring and evaluation in relief and development programs, using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Understanding of data and information needs for program management and decision making
- Experience in facilitating the capacity building efforts of diverse colleagues, including local partner agencies
- Demonstrated ability to transfer knowledge to diverse audiences through training, mentoring and other formal and non-formal methods
- High level English language proficiency (speaking, reading, writing)
- Analytic and computer skills, including MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access)
- Experience using SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, or R
- Context related skills, knowledge and experience
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong organisational and team working skills
- Good cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Highly approachable, trustworthy and confidential
- Knowledge of the NGO operations and the dynamics of the humanitarian sector is a plus in Somalia and the wider Horn of Africa region
- Good level of proficiency in Windows Excel and quantitative analysis (SPSS preferred)
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of the Somalia language an asset
- Proven presentation, training and facilitation skills
- Behavioural competencies:
- These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job and the following are essential for this position:
- Strategic thinking
- Planning and delivering results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environments
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract period: 12 months, with possibility of extension
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
- Duty station: Mogadishu, with frequent travel to all areas of programme implementation
- Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start
- NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Somalia
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2017-03-14