WASH officer (volunteer) – based in Tanna – VANUATU – H/F
Context of the position
FRC activities today
FRC delegation is based in Port-Vila, capital city of Vanuatu, on Efate Island. As of today, FRC delegation in Vanuatu is composed of a head of delegation, an assistant head of delegation, a support services coordinator, a head of base, a head of project, two WASH delegates, a shelter delegate, and a DRR delegate. 2 projects are currently underway which are coherent with FRC programmatic strategy in Vanuatu:
- a project on disaster impact mitigation (SCP3 – Supporting Community Planning) focusing on WASH, DRR and hygiene promotion in Malampa and Torba Provinces
- a recovery project focusing on WASH, shelter, DRR & hygiene promotion on Tanna Island
This position is for the WASH part of the recovery program.
Description of the position
In line with the principles of RC Movement, the WASH officer’s objectives are to improve, diversify, and increase water access for communities by implementing the following activities:
From May to August 2017 in the frame of north Tanna recovery program:
- building about 10 km of water Gravity Fed System (GFS) in 3 different locations
- installing 32 Rainwater Harvesting Systems (RWHS) in targeted communities
- controlling water quality
- training local water committee members
From September 2017 to May 2018:
he/she will work with SCP3 project team on water infrastructures in Malekula, Gaua and Vanualava Islands. The volunteer will support the WASH component of the project (TBD).
General objective for the volunteer:
To develop his/her knowledge in technical activity management, awareness, and training within a humanitarian program. The volunteer will be in charge of implementing the following activities:
- Project Management
- Construction of infrastructures
From May to August 2017, the volunteer’s line managers will be:
- the head of base in terms of organisation (supply, logistics, movements) and security
- the head of delegation in terms of program and operations
From September 2017 to May 2018:
The volunteer’s line manager will be the head of SCP3 Project (organisation, program and operations).
From May to August 2017: he/she will work in close collaboration with FRC WASH technical advisor, based in Lao PDR, on all technical aspects of the WASH component he/she is in charge of.
From September 2017 to May 2018: he/she will work with SCP3 head of project on all technical aspects of the WASH component he/she will participate in.
He/She will work in close collaboration with the following stakeholders:
- DRR, Hygiene Promotion and Shelter delegates + whole project teams
- support services (administration / finance / HR / logistics team)
- VRCS staff and volunteers
- communities and their representatives, local authorities, local partners
Profile of the candidate
Master’s Degree in Water, sanitation and hygiene or civil engineering. Only candidates with relevant work experience and at the very minimum a BTS (Brevet Technicien Supérieur) certificate (“Gemeau) or BTP d’Egletons” certificate or Public Works School certificate will be considered.
- education in public works or experience working in a project management design office (BTS certificate minimum)
- experience in the field of access to drinking water, in a public works company or in a project design office (construction sites monitoring)
- a previous experience at a similar position, or one or several internships in an NGO/charity with similar projects abroad, especially in the Asia/Pacific zone, appreciated
- a previous experience with FRC / International Operations Department is appreciated
- to be able to work in basic conditions
- to be able to quickly learn Bislama language (compulsory)
- to be able to work independently
- to have a strong affinity for capacity building project
- to be able to manage local staff team
- to have a good sense of human relations and team spirit
- to have a good sense of responsibilities
- to be organised and rigorous
Fluency in both French and English
Development of skills expected during the volunteering:
- ability to lead and follow-up public works construction sites
- ability to deliver trainings
- knowledge of the context and understanding of humanitarian issues in the Pacific zone
- understanding of relations and interactions between the various stakeholders working in Vanuatu
- knowledge in terms of operational, logistics and administrative project monitoring
- Location: Tanna - VANUATU
- Duration: 12 months
- To be filled by: April 2017
- Deadline for application: 24/03/2017
- Status: International Solidarity Volunteer (VSI legal status)
The French Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications. Thank you.
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all and that constitute a real advantage for your application:
WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is intended for all: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world.
Stay Safe is intended for every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact.
You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
Apply via FRC website:
- Organization: Red Cross - France
- Location: Port-Vila
- Grade: Mid level
- Closing Date: 2017-03-24