|The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
- International IDEA’s Tunisia programme aims to support the country’s democratic transition through support to electoral processes, constitution building processes and political participation and representation processes. Within this, International IDEA has developed a youth democracy curriculum which is now being implemented in the country.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributes to substantive activities under International IDEA’s key impact areas;
- Supports the implementation of the youth democracy curriculum in all of its phases;
- Supports the implementation of a youth network across Tunisia;
- Supports research on youth participation in Tunisia;
- Supports the introduction of International IDEA’s citizen-led assessment methodologies in Tunisia;
- Assists in gathering data for International IDEA databases;
- Assists in project planning, monitoring, assessment and reporting in line with Results Based Management;
- Assists in the development, facilitation and organization of national and international workshops, seminars and meetings hosted by International IDEA including the organization of Member State meetings in Tunis;
- Maintains collaborative working relations and partnerships with national and international counterparts and relevant institutions and donors and collaborates with other International IDEA offices and programmes;
- Represents International IDEA at national or international events;
- Supports team members in the development of funding proposals and fundraising;
- Supports the processes needed for the publication of translations into English, French or Arabic including contracting translators, editors, design and layout of publications.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills and initial experience in their field;
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Has good knowledge in own discipline and some understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design , management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented – which may imply field/international experience at some point;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management.
- No direct people management responsibility.
- Is able to solve problems of varying degrees of complexity; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has an impact on the programme development and delivery.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises regularly with all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her projects;
- Acts in all assignments with personal energy and engagement.
- Fluency in English, Arabic and French required.
- Around 3 years, including substantial internship(s);
- Master´s degree (or equivalent) in a relevant subject;
- Field experience is desirable.
Terms of Contract
Local Post. One (1) year fixed-term appointment.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Tunisia.
Applying for this position
- Applications should be submitted no later than 19 March 2017. Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- You may apply directly by pressing the Send Application button.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.