Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor for a potential five-year USAID/Uganda Defeat TB project. The goal of the project is to implement TB control efforts aimed at improving TB case notification and treatment outcomes while addressing the underlying health system barriers that are critical to improving service delivery to contribute to ending the TB epidemic in Uganda.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH) saves lives and improves health by helping public and private organizations throughout the world to effectively manage people, medicines, money, and information. Working from more than 30 country offices and our Arlington, Virginia and Medford, Massachusetts US headquarters, our staff from 65 nations is highly regarded for its technical expertise, integrity, and commitment to making a lasting difference in health. We live our mission to save lives and improve the health of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health.
The Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Advisor will be in charge of the monitoring, evaluation, and learning components of this project. She/he will develop monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) systems and research studies. The MEL system will include appropriate indicators, baseline data, analysis data to inform the project implementation for improvements plan to evaluate performance and produce timely, accurate and complete reporting. She/he will be responsible for the overall management of monitoring and evaluation and research system for the project. S/he leads and coordinates monitoring and evaluation, systems development, researches and related activities.
S/he will ensure the smooth operation and quality performance of technical efforts and field activities by coordinating and overseeing quality programmatic reporting, quality of data management and strategic information. S/he is responsible for leading the development and implementation of a plan to monitor progress, evaluate effectiveness, and disseminate results, as well as overseeing the conduction of operations research and other data based analysis to facilitate evidence based improvements in project performance and expand understanding and lessons learned. S /he will ensure adherence to monitoring of project activities using developed tools and indicators.
- Provide in-country technical leadership and support for monitoring and evaluation.
- Ensure the integration of M&E activities into all project components.
- Collect analyze information and report on project activities.
- Ensure timely and complete reporting from in-country executing partners in accordance with approved reporting formats, especially supported health facilities and districts reporting into the national health database and reporting into PEPFAR reporting formats
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards annual work plans, expected outputs, including selecting and monitoring progress in meeting indicators.
- Assist the Chief of Party in the preparation of work plans/selection of indicators and annual implementation plans with a view towards the project’s M&E requirements.
- Coordinate the preparation of all quarterly progress reports, annual project report, inception report, ad-hoc technical reports, and success stories for USAID funding in line with the required formats.
- Collect data for annual M&E plan and use those data to improve project performance.
- Adapt and implement tools and techniques to improve the quality and use of data for decision making.
- Assist the Chief of Party with decision-making on resource allocation based on project priorities and performance.
- Participate on behalf of the project in appropriate technical meetings and conferences.
- Provide support to institutional and human capacity building activities at the regional and local levels for project activities.
- Develop a detailed annual work plan to build technical and managerial capacity of project.
- Based on the capacity building work plan mentioned above conduct monthly seminars, hands-on training, mentoring and coaching for project staff.
- Lead the write up of publications from publish operation research finding and routine M&E data
- Assist the CoP in organizing national annual learning review meetings to bring all actors on TB for sharing research and program tic findings.
- Carry out any such duties as may be assigned by the Chief of Party.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in monitoring and evaluation (M&E), epidemiology, biostatistics, statistics, research methods or related field;
- At least 8 years of relevant work experience in monitoring and evaluation of large scalehealth service delivery and systems strengthening programs in developing countries with PEPFAR/USAID.
- Six (6) years of work experience with research methodology for health programs
- Published a minimum of 3 articles as primary author in well recognized peer reviewed journals
- Demonstrating progressively increasing level of responsibility;
- Excellent analytic skills coupled with proven ability in using visuals like graphs, chart, maps, and GIS;
- Excellent ability in using data systems like EPI-Info, SPSS, SAS, DHIS2 and DATIM for reporting or analysis;
- Excellent ability to articulate oral and written technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences;
- Demonstrated experience in successfully moving analysis, evaluation, and research findings to program actions.
- Demonstrated research experience and skills, complemented by experience in collaborating with varying types of partners.
- Must have extensive knowledge in collaboration, learning and adapting concepts to health projects.
- Must have excellent writing, presentation and communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated decision making ability operating in a management culture built on consensus and results. Ability to work as part of a team and as an individual.
- Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation in USG supported projects in particular.
- Demonstrated intermediate skills in IT as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, experienced with project planning applications.
- Experience using a statistical analysis software such as STATA and SPSS
- Knowledge of and experience in training and capacity building.
- Prior experience conducting operations research.
- Experience establishing data quality assurance systems.
- Experience in TB and HIV projects is an advantage
- Experience working in USAID projects is also a plus
- Excellent planning and data analysis and presentation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate and document, including the writing of quality reports and detailed analysis of strategic information, using computer programs such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Kigali
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Education, Learning and Training
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Project and Programme Management
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Closing Date: 2017-04-28