Programme Analyst - UNAIDS Junior Professional Officer
UNAIDS provides leadership and coordinates support for an expanded and integrated UN system response to AIDS at country, regional and global levels. It promotes the production and use of strategic information on the HIV epidemic, including information on epidemiologic status, economic and demographic impact; costing of interventions, prevention and care gaps and strategies; the scale-up and implementation of monitoring and evaluation efforts and direct support to enable countries and regions to implement the findings.
In addition to expanding the evidence base for the AIDS response, the Programme Branch focuses on key aspects of the response, including regional and country collaboration for increasing the cost effectiveness and efficiency of country programmes, eliminating infections in children, creating sustainable and affordable treatment and care activities towards ending the AIDS epidemic by 2030
The Office of the Deputy Executive Director, Programme Branch, reflects the vision of UNAIDS and works to consolidate and leverage key technical departments and divisions that provide support to regional and country offices. The Branch works to promote a comprehensive and integrated, evidence informed and adequately resourced response to the HIV epidemic by providing strategic information and policy guidance driven by countries' needs, monitoring programmatic coverage and behavioural trends, building country capacity, and evaluating the effectiveness of the response at the country, regional and global levels.
Content and methodology of supervision:
As part of the UNAIDS JPO programme overall framework, the JPO will benefit from the following supervision modalities:
- Structured guidance provided by the supervisor, especially in the beginning of the assignment, with the purpose of gradually increasing the responsibilities of the JPO
- Establishment of a work plan, with clear key results (Performance Evaluation Report)
- Effective supervision through knowledge sharing and performance/development feedback throughout the assignment
- Easy access to the supervisor
- Participation in Unit/Team/Office meetings to ensure integration and operational effectiveness
- Guidance and advice in relation to learning and training opportunities within the field of expertise
- Completion of the yearly Performance Evaluation Report
Upon completion of the assignment the JPO will be able to:
- Demonstrate a good understanding of the HIV epidemic and the state-of the art of prevention, care, support and treatment trends among key populations
- Explain the role of UNAIDS secretariat and its different cosponsors with regard to HIV prevention and scaling up responses among key populations.
- Prepare briefings, meeting reports and high level correspondence
- Demonstrate enhanced diplomatic, communication, coordination and partnership building skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordination Advisor and in close collaboration with the Deputy Executive Director and the team, the incumbent has the following responsibilities:
- Assists development of new partnerships and policies for programme implementation by delivering timely executive support to the Director of the office and the Deputy Executive Director.
- Contribute to the production of key strategic documents concerning new initiatives of the office of the Deputy Executive Director, including in the area of integration of HIV into broader health and community services.
- Drafts communications (including social media), correspondence and briefings on key issues relevant to the branch. Liaise with UNAIDS headquarters, Departments, and Country Offices to ensure quality reports are produced and provided to senior management and partners upon request.
- Contributes to the smooth running of the office and plans special events. Tracks performance targets and proactively briefs the Director on developments.
- Provides technical support on special initiatives related to HIV advocacy, policy and programme planning.
- All other related duties as required.
Required Skills and Experience
- Essential: Advanced university degree at the Master’s level in international relations, political science, international development, social sciences, business management or related field
- Essential: A minimum of 2 years of work experience in programme planning and executive support. Experience in event management, and protocol related issues.
- Desirable: Experience in another UN agency or international organization.
- Essential: Advanced knowledge of English or advanced knowledge of another official UN language depending on duty station.
- Desirable: Good working knowledge of another UN official language
- This post is opened in the context of the JPO Programme sponsored by the Government of Finland and is addressed exclusively to nationals of Finland.
Functional/Technical knowledge and Skills
- Strong drafting and writing skills, Excellent organizational, analytical and conceptual skills with good knowledge of HIV and AIDS related issues.
The selected candidate will expected to participate in the training course on Finland’s Development Policy and Development Cooperation in 2017 organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Finland, from 7-9 June, 2017, in Helsinki
For more details on the JPO Programme and detailed requirements, please visit: http://www.undp.org/content/jposc/en/home/how-to-join/current-vacancies.html
- Organization: UNAIDS - The joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: Junior
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development
- Closing Date: 2017-03-15