Programme Policy Officer / Knowledge Management Team Leader (Consultant)
Background: In close consultation with staff in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), Headquarters and partners around the globe, the Policy and Programme Division (OSZ) leads WFP policy formulation and design. These policies determine how food and nutrition assistance are provided and permeate all phases of the programme cycle – from analysis/assessment to design, implementation and review/redesign. OSZ provides strategic and technical guidance, disseminates know-how and helps ensure quality programme design guided by WFP’s newly adopted Integrated Roadmap. In coordination with other parts of the organization, the Division is responsible for shaping WFP’s strategic direction on key issues related to food security and nutrition in the context of Zero Hunger and the 2030 Agenda.
The Consultant will perform a coordination and advisory role in the Office of OSZ Director. The Consultant will employ strong analytical capacities and focus on ensuring policy coherence throughout the organization.
In addition, the Consultant will lead the Division’s Knowledge Management Team in the Office of the Director. The Consultant will lead the coordination of information sharing and knowledge management initiatives across the Division’s various Services, Units and Teams towards contributing to WFP’s Corporate Knowledge Management efforts to ensure the organization’s knowledge is used and shared as an asset with internal and external stakeholders. In this regard, the Consultant will convene on a regular basis (and ad-hoc) meetings with the knowledge management focal points of each of the Division’s functional areas.
The Consultant will lead the Division’s engagement in the development of an open data policy, the strengthening of policy and programme content on WFP’s corporate platforms (e.g., WFP.org, WFPgo, WFP Manuals, WFP Communities, etc...), the establishment of an inventory of best practices and the rolling out of the WFP Operations Series. The Series is an initiative designed to capture WFP’s historical engagement within specific country contexts from the policy and programme perspectives.
In close collaboration with the relevant functional areas, the Consultant will:
- Provide management support and strategic advice to the OSZ Director on Knowledge Management-related WFP corporate and inter-agency initiatives;
- Coordinate knowledge management initiatives for OSZ within WFP, including through the ongoing improvement and expansion (as necessary) of OSZ’s various knowledge management platforms;
- Design, develop and coordinate activities to strengthen knowledge sharing;
- Establish guidelines for programmatic guidance created by the various functional areas of OSZ;
- Promote activities to foster a knowledge culture of learning, knowing sharing and application on behalf of the policy and programme function;
- Coordinate OSZ’s contribution in the development of WFP’s open data policy in collaboration with internal stakeholders and the World Bank;
- Lead the development of thematic issue briefs on priority topics for OSZ;
- Maintain a network of knowledge management focal points across OSZ and with other relevant functional areas (e.g., Nutrition, Gender, Innovation and Change Management, etc…) towards enhancing synergies across functional areas;
- Coordinate the development of tools and methodology for the research of the WFP Operations Series, including supervision of joint research with Universities and the Series Editor.
- Conduct presentations of the Operations Series publications to internal and external audiences;
- Contribute to enhancing Knowledge Management in the Division by supporting efforts by individual units, including the Policy and Programme Bulletin, the Policy and Programme Page on WFP’s intranet (WFPgo) and the internal Divisional sharing-platform (OSZ Teamwork);
- Communicate (verbally and in writing) to a range of audiences (at various organisational and seniority levels) the principles of Knowledge Management and the objectives of various OSZ Knowledge Management initiatives in general and specific to the policy and programme function;
- Serve as the principle editor for the Policy and Programme Bulletin and the OSZ Digest, both OSZ publications;
- Oversee and coordinate the output of the Knowledge Management Team’s other Programme Policy Officer;
- Perform all other duties, as required.
- Advanced university degree in Information Management, Communications, Business Administration or related field;
- Strong writing, analytical and research skills (qualitative and quantitative) and ability to use knowledge in applied policy formulation;
- Extensive knowledge of major humanitarian and development issues, including food security and nutrition;
- Understanding of United Nations role in humanitarian and development cooperation;
- Technology-friendly and able to quickly learn to use new tools as necessary;
- Client-orientation and attention to details;
- Ability to work independently;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in multicultural settings that involve a large number of stakeholders;
- Excellent English communication skills, both in speaking and writing;
- Proficiency in another UN official language (French, Arabic, Spanish, Russian, Chinese or Portuguese) desired.
- At least 8 years of international experience working in development cooperation and/or humanitarian assistance, preferably with country office experience;
- Prior experience with the World Food Programme would be an asset.
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Rome
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-04-01