Head of Support Services (HoSS)
DRC is looking for a highly qualified and experienced Head of Support Services and member of the Senior Management Team to oversee, develop and provide strategic direction to DRC’s Finance, HR, Administration, and Logistics/Procurement units for DRC’s operations in the Central African Republic (CAR). The Head of Support Services plays a pivotal role both in DRC CAR and in the continuous improvement of DRC’s operational systems on a global level.
DRC is a Danish international non-governmental organization that promotes protection and supports durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced people all over the world, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in some of the most challenging operational environments in the world. It is of utmost importance for DRC’s operations to work in compliance with DRC’s Accountability and Quality Management system in the areas of Finance, Administration, HR, and Logistics.
DRC in the Central African Republic
DRC is one of the largest INGOs in the Central African Republic, operating out of 2 field offices with an operational coordination country office in Bangui. The humanitarian situation in CAR is marked by recurring insecurity, crime and displacement, compounding deep pre-existing poverty and underdevelopment. DRC CAR operates within the three main pillars of multi sector emergency response, protection and livelihoods and provides life-saving, early recovery and durable solutions assistance to IDPs, refugees and other conflict affected populations in Bangui itself and in the three prefectures of Ouham, Ouham-Pende and Bamingui-Bangoran. DRC CAR has 35 international staff and more than 400 national staff and an annual turnover of around 8 million Eur.
About the job
The Head of Support Services will have the overall leadership responsibility for DRC’s operational management in CAR within Finance, Administration, HR, and Logistics. This position requires demonstrated ability to develop long-term vision and strategic planning, provide leadership for DRC’s operations, and a high level of operations planning.
The Head of Support Services is directly responsible for ensuring that DRC’s Programme in CAR operates in accordance with DRC’s operational standards as expressed in the DRC Operations Handbook and other guidelines in the DRC Accountability and Quality Management system.
Duties and responsibilities
The Head of Support Services reports to the Country Director and will receive support from the technical Departments in DRC Headquarters. The Head of Support Services is a member of the Senior Management Team and is responsible for 7 international and 35 national staff. The Logistics, Supply, HR and Finance units report directly to the Head of Support Services.
Overall the Head of Operation is responsible for
- Support the Country Director and the Senior Management Team of DRC CAR in liaising with donors and authorities, especially as relates to issues of compliance, registration, and audit
- Oversee the operational support units for the country operation, in finance, administration, HR management and logistics/procurement in the country office as well as the field offices, by providing strategic leadership and technical support to the areas under his/her supervision
- Supervision, audits and controlling and implementation of corrective actions related to DRC’s operational standards, in the areas of Finance, Administration, HR, and Logistics/ Procurement
- Ensure that DRC retains and continually develops its operational capacity to provide rapid emergency response in particular within its procurement and transport systems
- Develop a risk management plan for the country that identifies the major financial and operational risks and implement a mitigation strategy
- Ensure that all administrative and legal-related systems are accurate and maintained
- Work to build the capacity of the operational support staff throughout the DRC CAR operation through frequent in-service training sessions and mentoring support
- Contribute to the development and implementation of DRC’s global development initiatives, in particular in procurement and financial accountability.
- The applicant has significant proven experience in providing strategic, managerial and technical leadership in operational management, is fully proficient in both French and English, and is able to live and work in a highly challenging working environment
- Post graduate degree, in Social Sciences, International development, Project Management, and/or Public Administration, Financial/Business management, or other relevant field
- Minimum 5 years of senior leadership experience in operations management roles with at least 2 years of experience in a similar role in an international NGO
- Strong operational management experience and capability, including in conflict areas
- Proven significant financial, information and systems management experience
- Proven management skills, including good and human resource development ability
- Significant experience in procurement and tender processes
- Good knowledge and/or experience on project management will be an assetDemonstrable strategic thinking and leadership ability
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking ability
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills with a well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Understanding and experience of institutional fundraising
- Understanding of the countries in which DRC operates and sensitive to the cultural context
- Fluent in French with a very good command of English is essential.
- Availability: April 15th 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter
- Duty station: Bangui - CAR with some travels in the country - This is a Non-Family Duty Station
- Contract: 1 year (possibility of extension based on budget and availability)
- Salary level: Salary level A6. Salary and other conditions in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriate Staff (under the vacancies section)
Please note that the Candidate must be fully proficient in French and English at a professional level. Candidates that do not meet this requirement will not be considered for the post.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies/Current vacancies/ Head of Support Services CAR.
Please send your application, in English and marked “Head of Support Services – CAR”
Closing date for Applications: March 26th 2017 - Due to the urgency of this position DRC will short list the applications on a daily basis and may select candidates before the indicated closing date.
Problems with on-line application? Please contact email@example.com, if you have questions to the application process or experience problems with your on-line application.
You are welcome to contact DRC Coordinator for CAR, Maria Pade Lange, by telephone +45 3373 5121 for additional information about the position.
Please note that applications are not to be sent to Ms Lange. We only accept applications sent via our online system accessible at www.drc.dk/Vacancies. Applications sent directly to Ms. Lange will NOT be considered.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website www.drc.dk.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 35 countries throughout the world. We are the largest humanitarian NGO in Denmark and consistently ranked as one of the world’s best NGOs according to Global_Geneva.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Bangui
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-05-15