Batch Vacancy - Education Specialist, NO-3, Recife & Manaus, Brazil (2 posts)
The Education Specialist will be accountable for the development and preparation of the Education program(s) and will be responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting on the progress of education programs/projects within the Country Program.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Education Specialist will be accountable for the development and preparation of the Education (or a sector of) program/s and is responsible for managing, implementing, monitoring, evaluating and reporting the progress of education programs/projects within the country program. The Specialist will provide technical guidance and management support throughout the programming processes to facilitate the administration and achievement of results on education programs/projects to improve learning outcomes and equitable and inclusive education, especially for children who are marginalized, disadvantaged and excluded in society. Also will contribute to the achievement of results according to plans, allocation, results based-management approaches and methodology (RBM) and UNICEF's Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
1. Support to program/project development and planning
- Support the preparation/design and conduct/update of situation analysis for the education programs/projects and/or sector to ensure that current comprehensive and evidence based data on education issues are available to guide UNICEF's strategic policy advocacy, intervention and development efforts on education programs and to set priorities, strategies, design and implementation plans. Keep abreast of development trends to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery.
- Participate in strategic program discussion on the planning of education programs/projects. Formulate, design and prepare programs/projects proposal for the sector, ensuring alignment with the overall UNICEF's Strategic Plans and Country Program and coherence/integration with UN Development Assistance Framework (UNDF), regional strategies and national priorities, plans and competencies.
- Establish specific goals, objectives and strategies and implementation plans for the sector/s using results-based planning terminology and methodology (RBM). Prepare required documentations for program review and approval.
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss strategies and methodologies and to determine national priorities/competencies to ensure the achievement of concrete and sustainable results.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes and to ensure integration, coherence and harmonization of programs/projects with other UNICEF sectors and achievement of results as planned and allocated.
- Draft regular/mandated sectoral programme/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of programme progress, including relevant contributions for the Results Assessment Module (RAM)
2. Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
-Plan and/or collaborate with internal and external partners to establish monitoring benchmarks, performance indicators and other UNICEF/UN system indicators and measurement to assess/strengthen performance accountability, coherence and delivery of concrete and sustainable results for the assigned sector on education programs.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess progress and to determine required action/interventions to achieve results.
- Prepare/assess monitoring and evaluation reports to identify gaps, strengths/weaknesses in program and management, identify lessons learned and use knowledge gained for development planning and timely intervention to achieve goals.
- Actively monitor programs/projects through field visits, surveys and/or exchange of information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress, identify bottlenecks and potential problems and take timely decisions to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for timely resolution.
- Monitor and verify the optimum/appropriate use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets) confirming compliance with organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity and ensuring timely reporting and liquidation of resources.
- Prepare regular/mandated program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
- Elaborate on project proposals for the region under the incumbent's responsibility, in close cooperation with the other Zonal Office colleagues and the education team in Brasilia.
3. Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Provide technical guidance and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and country office partners/donors on interpretation, application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices and approaches on education and related issues to support program management, implementation and delivery of results.
- Arrange/coordinate availability of technical experts with Regional Office/HQ to ensure timely/appropriate support throughout the programming/projects process.
- Participate in education program meetings including program development and contingency planning to provide technical and operational information, advice and support.
- Draft policy papers, briefs and other strategic program materials for management use, information and/or consideration.
- Support the full implementation of HACT policy with main partners in the region.
4. Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective and close working partnerships with relevant government counterparts, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia through active networking, advocacy and effective communication to build capacity, exchange knowledge/expertise and to reinforce cooperation to achieve sustainable and broad results on education programs.
- Prepare communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for education programs.
- Participate and/or represent UNICEF in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) discussions and planning on education and related issues to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF planning and preparation of programs/projects ensuring organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF process in development planning and agenda setting.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Apply/introduce innovative approaches and good practice to build the capacity of partners and stakeholders and to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Keep abreast, research, benchmark and implement best practices in education management. Assess, institutionalize and share best practices and knowledge learned.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy of sustainable programs and projects.
- Organize and implement capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders to promote sustainable results on education and related programs/projects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Education, Economics, Psychology, Sociology or other social science related field is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional work experience in social development planning and management in education and related areas, at the national and/or international level, is required.
- Previous relevant work experience in a developing country is considered an asset.
- Past work experience in the region and/or experience working on a distance (out-posted) basis is desirable.
- Previous professional work experience in a UN system and/or agency is considered an asset.
- Fluency in Portuguese and English is required. Knowledge of an additional UN Language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
• Diversity and Inclusion
• Communication (II)
• Working with People (II)
• Drive for Results (II)
• Leading and supervising (I)
• Formulating strategies and concepts (II)
• Analyzing (II)
• Relating and networking (II)
• Deciding and Initiating action (I)
• Applying technical expertise (II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please note that this Vacancy Announcement is open for competition to Brazilian nationals only.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds, representing the diversity of Brazil, such as black and indigenous people, to apply to become a part of our organization. Candidates will be treated equally regardless of gender, sexual orientation, special needs, social and HIV/aids status. UNICEF is a smoke-free environment.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Managua
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Mid level
- Education, Learning and Training
- Education, Learning and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-04-17