DANISH REFUGEE COUNCIL INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF
DRC is an International non-governmental organization which promotes and supports durable solutions to the problems faced by refugees and internally displaced people all over the world.
In Uganda, DRC assists the refugees from neighbouring countries mainly DR Congo and South Sudan in the South West, West and West Nile region of the country. DRC’s assistance to refugees have been both emergency assistance to address the short term influxes from the neighbouring countries as well as to address the sustainable solutions for the refugees. DRC is also the lead of a Consortium (Save the Children, ZOA, and CEFORD) for the implementation of an EU Trust Fund project in Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Rhino camp.
The Accountant is responsible for setting up, improving the existing system and ensuring effective financial administration of all DRC budgets. The Accountant is responsible for maintaining and ensuring effective planning of fund flow, expenditure booking and reporting of all funds available and assigned to related assigned DRC field station according to the DRC Operations Hand Book (OHB) manual, donor guidelines and rules taking into account accurate financial records keeping and financial accountabilities of the available funds.
- Maintain financial files (physical and soft copies) and records according to DRC Operations handbook.
- Assist with preparation of the budget.
- Implement financial policies and procedures.
- Establish the cash requirements, and maintain adequate cash levels and related cash controls, safe custody of safe keys.
- Ensure weekly cash counts and reconciliations by all DRC Uganda operations are conducted every Friday of the week, reviewed by the Project Manager (in the field) and filled in Kampala for review by Senior Finance officer the following Monday.
- Ensure month end cash counts are properly supervised and submitted to DRC Headquarter by 1st of every month.
- Confirm that full accountabilities (documentations) are obtained for all expenditures and validity of claims all financial claims.
- Ensure weekly cash books with complete documentations are prepared for all the projects for review by Finance Manager every Friday of the week.
- Ensure transactions are properly recorded and entered into the cash books on a daily basis.
- Maintain and reconcile daily, weekly and monthly cash books and budget follow ups.
- Prepare and reconcile bank statements.
- Ensure that monthly cash books are submitted to Finance Manager and later to DRC Headquarter before 6th of every month for booking in Navision.
- Establish and maintain supplier accounts.
- Process approved payments of supplier / service provider invoices on the basis of complete documentation.
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly and annual DRC and donor reports preparation.
- Supporting Finance and Project Managers to adequately prepare for both internal and independent audits.
- Keep copies of all documents submitted to Kampala or and DRC Headquarter in file for reference.
- Supervise scanning of vouchers and supporting documents and sees that proper filing is done in accordance with donor requirements and / or DRC manual.
- Inform the Senior Finance Officer/Project Manager on all financial issues which can affect the execution of the DRC Programmes.
- Ensure the safeguarding of all available funds.
- Prepare Payment Vouchers, Review Order Requests in accordance with the approved authority matrix and running budgets.
- Accurately prepare the necessary documents, compile source documents and daily postings of all the paid transactions in the cash books.
- Reconcile the accounts receivables/advances.
- Issue receipts for all the funds received.
- Preparation of monthly payroll in order to ensure that employees are paid in an accurate and timely manner.
- Process routine salary payment for all contracted staff.
- Submit to Human Resource for distribution, monthly pay slips for staff.
- Enter approved and accurate employee data, including Tax Identification Numbers (TIN) and places of residence are submitted by the human resources for input into the monthly payroll.
- Compute employee salaries, contributions, statutory and other deductions.
- Prepare and file payroll summaries and bookings to the relevant donor budgets in line with the approved budget lines.
- Submit the approved monthly payroll to the human resources for record keeping.
- Prepare schedules for all taxes withheld or paid on a monthly basis where relevant and submit to Finance Manager for verification before submission to the relevant authorities.
- Prepare and submit monthly statutory deductions (PAYE) and contributions (NSSF) to the relevant government authorities according to the required time period.
- Act in the position of Senior Finance Officer when absent.
- Uphold the DRC’s Code of Conduct.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned from time to time.
The Accountant reports to the Senior Finance Officer .
PERSONAL SPECIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCIES
• Degree in finance/accounting, commerce, and at least 3 years relevant experience with an International NGO.
• Proven experience working with the major donors, UN, ECHO, NMFA, UN & DANIDA among other donors.
• Attention to detail.
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
• Good problem-solving and analytical skills.
• High level of integrity (this is key and extremely important)
• Proven commitment to accountable practices.
• Knowledge of working in challenging environments.
• Proven ability to manage large varied workloads and deal constructively with stress.
• Proven ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and work with limited supervision
• Proactive, stable and robust character and a good team player.
• Excellent communication skills, calm and a good sense of humor.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations.
Conditions for the position
• The Position is contract based.
• The position is based in Kampala
• Remuneration and benefits are as per DRC Uganda standard salary scale and benefit package.
Expected start date: Immediately.
Application and CV
Applications should be in English and include the following:
1. A cover letter (1 page) in which you explain why you are interested in the position and how you meet the qualities and qualifications criteria and salary expectations.
2. Concise and accurate CV (maximum 3 pages). The CV should include information about your qualification, relevant training courses, Work experience, name and contact details of 3 relevant references.
We only accept online applications. Go to www.drc.dk > About DRC > Vacancies > Current Vacancies and find the job on the list and press the apply button.
The deadline for submission of applications is the 20th March 2017.
We thank applicants for their interest in the position however; only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you have problems uploading your application, please contact email@example.com.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Kampala
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-03-20