VN 2017/71 (P) - Regional Media and Public Information Officer (P2) - Cairo, Egypt
Position Title Regional Media and Public Information Officer Duty Station : Cairo, Egypt
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 26 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director, and in close cooperation with the Head, Media and Communications Division - Spokesperson, ICP/MCD and other Media and Public Information specialists in the Regional Office, the successful candidate will support and assist with the development and implementation of public information activities in the region, and provide technical assistance to the Field Offices to uphold professional standards in public information.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Gather, prepare and upon approval disseminate public information material on IOM activities in the region to the media and other internal and external stakeholders including donors, UN bodies, civil society and government counterparts; attend regular press briefings and provide content and other information inputs in relation to the visibility of IOM and its work in the region. 2. Assist in writing, editing and producing communication materials for IOM website, social media, press briefing notes, image library, Migration magazine and Video News Releases. 3. Assist in strengthening links with global, regional and international media to increase the Page 1 / 3awareness of IOM activities in the region.
4. Organize and participate in media campaigns in the region.
5. Support the development and implementation of IOM’s digital community engagement tools in support of projects and campaigns in the region.
6. Provide information and updates, and draft talking points as requested by the Regional Director, colleagues in the RO, country level missions and HQ.
7. Contribute to building internal public information capacity for the region. 8. Update and maintain the Middle East and North Africa migration blog and other communication platforms including RO website, social media accounts, and the MENA portion of the IOM global website, and generate timely and engaging content.
9. Participate in key mission events and workshops and undertake duty travel to field missions as needed to collect photographs, videos, and stories that would promote IOM with donors and governments.
10. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Media, Communications, Journalism, Economics, Political Science, Law, International Relations or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Good knowledge of migration issues and of the Middle East and North Africa region; • Experience in the production of visibility material, maintaining social media, and other communications functions;
• Strong writing and editing skills in English;
• Computer/software literate, preferably knowledgeable in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop and with experience of maintaining a website and databases;
• Experience in working in a multi-cultural setting.
Fluency in English and working knowledge of Arabic is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; Page 2 / 3• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 13.03.2017 to 26.03.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/71 (P) - Regional Media&Public Information Officer (P2) - Cairo, Egypt (54979689) Released
Posting: Posting NC55005363 (55005363) Released
Page 3 / 3