Project Officer - Livelihoods (Private Sector Engagement) Nationals only/Ankara - Turkey
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Position: Livelihoods Project Officer (Private Sector Engagement)
Reports to: Coordinator - Livelihoods
Supervision of: Project Assistants
Duty station: Ankara
Project number: Refer to contract
Duration and type of contract: April-December 2017
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
1. Roles and Responsibilities
The livelihoods Project Officer/engagement with the private sector supervises the daily operations of the NRC activities, which provides technical and soft skills training for youth and adults, and facilitates the employability of the NRC’s trainees.
These responsibilities shall be the same for all positions with the same title. The responsibilities shall be short and essential. Details belong in the Work and Development plan.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
- Implement delegated CC project portfolio according to plan of action
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
- Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
- Assign tasks/follow up on synergies with other NRC core competences implemented.
- Develop and follows up implementation of weekly work and private sector engagement activity plans for the target area.
- Identify and establishes linkages with the relevant private sector representatives to deliver on project objectives.
- Serve as NRC focal point with local companies in the target areas
- Visit periodically companies in the target area
- Assess the willingness and absorption capacity of the companies in hiring Syrian refugees and vulnerable host community members
- Regularly collect vacancies from different sources (including ensure the matching between the companies and NRC beneficiaries)
- Accompany trainees to job interviews
- Coordinate with the mentoring/outreach assistant in providing guidance to the beneficiaries about job opportunities and how to navigate the labour market
- Maintain a database of the trainees/job seekers, the companies visited, the matching between job seekers and companies achieved, etc: coordinate with the data management officer for the technical aspects
- Support the coordinator in organizing information/awareness session on refugees labour rights for companies
- Support the Information, Counseling and Legal assistance department of NRC in producing information materials on refugees labour rights for companies
- Represent as delegated, with focus on programme design and content.
- Informs programme development at site level, with feedback from assistants, community staff and trainees.
- Prepare periodic internal activity and progress reports, draw advises to the project management for further improvements and follow-up on required actions.
- Daily support to the management of assistants and community staff through weekly work and activity plans.
- Organise weekly meetings with the outreach officer and the outreach/mentoring assistants
- Relevant core competency implementation staff
- Support teams, Finance, HR, Admin and Logistics
- Communications staff
- Protection staff
- M&E department
Scale and scope of position
Stakeholders: private sector, ISKUR, NGO in the target areas working in the field of livelihoods
Budgets: No direct budget authority. . Inform Coordinator/budgeting needs.
These are skills, knowledge and experience that are important for effective performance.
Generic professional competencies:
- Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Good knowledge of English
Context/specific skills, knowledge and experience:
Qualification requirement: College/diploma degree equivalent (law, economics, social sciences is strongly preferred)
Years of Experience: 3
- Previous team management experience
- Experience in outreach to the refugee community
- Has contacts with refugee community representatives in the target area(s)
- Experience of youth programming is preferred
- Has good knowledge and has connections with private companies, Chambers of Commerce and Industry in the target location and with ISKUR
- Has knowledge of the Turkish Labour law
- Some knowledge of Arabic will be an asset
- Fluent in Turkish (spoken, written, read)
These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioural competencies, and the following are essential for this position:
- Planning and delivering results
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Handling insecure environment
3. Performance Management
- The Job Description
- The work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Ankara
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-26