SENIOR DIRECTOR, GENDER AND EMPOWERMENT
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking a Senior Director of the Gender and Empowerment (GE) who will lead the team responsible for CARE USA’s contribution to the Global CARE International (CI) Gender Equality and Women’s Voice (GEWV) approach and support the Life Free From Violence (LLFV) outcome area.
The Senior Director, GE will be responsible for setting the organization’s strategic vision and direction for gender and empowerment and will lead CARE USA’s work around managing a portfolio that addresses the injustice of gender inequality. The Director will drive external thought leadership and engagement, identify beneficial partners and alliances and draw on other internal and external resources to have the greatest possible impact attainment within the portfolio.
Reporting to CARE USA’s Associate Vice President for Program, Partnerships, and Learning (PPL), the Senior Director, Gender and Empowerment will provide leadership to the Gender and Empowerment Team, be part of the Senior Management Team (SMT) as well as the CARE International Gender Network (CIGN). The person in this role will also be responsible for demonstrating impact achieved, and promoting learning, sharing, and knowledge distribution across the organization and amongst key strategic partners and allies.
- Manage and provide oversight of CARE USA’s Gender Empowerment Team
- Program Strategy Implementation
- Resource Mobilization
- Gender-related Capacity Building Technical Leadership
- Influencing Policy and Practice
- External Thought Leadership and Engagement
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in related field. Master’s preferred
- 10 years of experience in leading gender equality and equity
- 10 years of experience in international development
- 8 years of experience engaging at a leadership level in the international field of gender equity/women’s empowerment
- Demonstrated experience in team management and leadership capabilities
- Successful fundraising experience and planning for, and oversight of large budgets
- Deep understanding and experience within a large interdependent decentralized organization like CARE
- Experience in strategic planning and partnerships, with the ability to network and coordinate efforts among diverse groups while building strong relationships
- Familiarity with best practice in thematic areas
- Conceptual and practical knowledge of gender analysis and understanding underlying causes of gender inequality. Knowledge of donors’ gender strategies
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills with a proficiency in English along with the ability to present in a large group.
To apply for this position, please visit our website at
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.
- Organization: CARE
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Senior
- Gender Mainstreaming
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-28