CON 2017/13- Consultant-Media & Public Information Assistant- Niamey,Niger
Position Title Consultant - Media and Public Information Assistant Duty Station :Niamey, Niger
Classification Consultant, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Consultant, 3 months
Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible Closing Date : 26 March 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission the Media and Public Information Assistant will be responsible for the implementation of internal and external communication and media related activities required for all the IOM Niger projects. Moreover she/he will undertake necessary action to plan, organize and proper development of public events, media campaigns and act as liaison and focal point between local/international journalists and relevant IOM units. In support to relevant project managers the media public information consultant will also be responsible of ensuring compliance with donor specific requirements in terms of communication and visibility.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Update IOM Niger public website, Facebook and Twitter accounts and act as Webmaster; analyze streaming of IOM Niger web viewers’ trends by making best use of available search mechanisms, such as Google’s Analytics.
2. Establish and maintain strong and regular liaison with the newspapers, TV and radio stations, news agencies, in order to inform the public, promote IOM activities and coordinating the media coverage of the events.
3. Monitor, evaluate, anticipate and respond proactively where it is deemed necessary, to all relevant news, information and forum discussion, concerning the activities of IOM Niger. 4. Undertake ongoing Communication activities such as responding to inquiries, maintaining calendar of events and communications mailing lists and evaluating the impact of key communications tools.
5. Inform relevant project manager of specific donor visibility requirements and develop standardized communication templates and tools for the mission.
6. Prepare and maintain up-to-date- in a timely manner- press briefing kits, project snapshots and other written materials ensuring consistent visibility of IOM Niger and relevant donors in coordination with Project Managers.
7. Assist with regard to the provision of information and updates of news agencies to keep them Page 1 / 3regularly informed on IOM Niger activities so as to ensure appropriate media coverage; Assist in organizing press briefings and conferences as necessary.
8. Assist in organizing working meetings, events, conferences and media meetings with concerned staff members.
9. Engage as needed with programme officers for successful publication of project materials (brochures, reports, fact sheets, profiles, posters, briefing papers, photo essays) in line with applicable donor guidelines;
10. Oversee and guide the development of a documentary on the migration challenges in Niger. 11. Ensure liaison and coordination with media and communication focal points in the Regional Office and Headquarters
12. Undertake duty travels as required and compile field monitoring reports highlighting implementation challenges and solutions.
13. Liaise, promote and coordinate interagency collaboration and operational partnership in the sub-offices’ areas of work.
14. Ensure the integration of cross-cutting issues such as gender and ensure that women children, and other vulnerable groups in the project are considered in all communication and media products.
15. Contribute to the resource mobilization efforts by edit, draft and package project proposals, reports, and related materials supportive of the strategic positioning and development of the Democratic Governance programme;
16. Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Program Manager to achieve project objectives.
• Update IOM Niger public website, Facebook and Twitter accounts and act as Webmaster; analyze streaming of IOM Niger web viewers’ trends by making best use of available search mechanisms, such as Google’s Analytic
• Prepare press briefing kits, project snapshots and other written materials ensuring consistent visibility of IOM Niger and relevant donors in coordination with Project Managers • Ensure adherence and compliance with Donor Visibility requirements.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Advanced university degree from an accredited academic institution in journalism or international relations.
• At least two years of experience (or five years of experience for candidates with 1st level university degree) in media/communication in humanitarian context.
• Experience in developing media and communication strategies, tools and products for development.
• Experience in liaising with national and international media outlets, and sound experience of Page 2 / 3web traffic generation in social media.
• Sound understanding and/or previous experience related to migration in West Africa is an added advantage.
• Strong computer skills
• Familiarity with the region is an asset
• Experience working in humanitarian organizations.
• Experience in working in remote environments
Fluency in English and French is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 26 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 16.03.2017 to 26.03.2017
Requisition: CON 2017/13- Consultant-Media & Public Information Assistant- Niamey,Niger (55009688) Released
Posting: Posting NC55009701 (55009701) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Niamey
- Grade: OTHE
- Closing Date: 2017-03-26