Education Assistant- Construction (National Position) Erbil Area Office - Iraq
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
The purpose of the Education Assistant position is to assist in the day-to-day implementation of the education school rehabilitation project. Education Assistant is responsible to conduct assessment, plan, supervise and monitor rehabilitation works as per NRC's standards and guidelines..This position will be reporting to Education Coordinator- Construction. The position of Education Coordinator- Construction is based in Erbil - Area Office.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
Bachelor or Higher degree in engineering and/or architecture/construction management or significant professional experience in engineering and construction site supervision and management . At least (3) years of experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting. Experience in working in School Construction with an NGO, charity or similar organization. Previous experience in working as a Education Assistant - Construction (or Equivalent) in a humanitarian/recovery context. Knowledge of spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic and English. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Professional management of construction site implementation within the standards established by NRC and in accordance with the scope of works and planning requirements.
- Supervision of construction activities, ensure quality control, meet deadlines and time schedule for the projects implementation with all appropriate technical documentation and communications
- Monitor the progress of activities of assigned daily labor and or contractors and ensures they are implemented as per planning and quality standards.
- Assist with the implementation of the education project according to the plan of action
- Assist Project Coordinator in the planning of construction activities
- Responsible for daily site supervision and follow up on the quality and timeliness of construction activities undertaken by the contractors as per the terms of the contract for works, SOPs and technical guidelines.
- Assist in the production technical documents such as BOQ’s, Scope of Works, detailed drawings and assist in the development of contracts for all building projects
- Prepare and conduct field visits and technical assessments to all properties that fit NRC’s selection criteria.
- Produce project progress reports, including specific aspects of implementation with proposals for implementation improvement and ensure compliance to regulations and required standards.
- Provide on-site expertise, interaction, and leadership. Proactively providing solutions to problems to support the project beneficiaries and actively engaging in the construction process to improve work methods, quality standards, and increase productivity.
- Relevant work experience in a dynamic and results focused organization
- Solid computer skills, including AutoCAD, MS Word, Outlook and Excel
- Previous experience working in complex and volatile contexts; ability to remain calm and professional in tense situations
- Ability to work diligently both independently and in a team setting
- Proven ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Knowledge in documenting progress of construction related shelter activities
- Planning and delivering results
- Initiating action and change
- Empowering and building trust
- Communicating with impact and respect
The post will be for (9) months contract duration (with possible extension).
Salary: 4/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Erbil with frequent visits to site operations of NRC
Due to emergency requirements, NRC will start screening the CVs after 1 week of the date of this announcement.
For more information, please find enclosed the job description.
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Oslo
- Grade: Administrative Services and Support - Generally no need for Higher Education - Administrative support
- Administrative support
- Education, Learning and Training
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Education, Learning and Training
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-03-30