Consultancy for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector analysis and strategic regional positioning/Consultoría en análisis sectorial Agua, Saneamiento e Higiene (WASH) y posicionamiento estratégico a nivel regional.
Support UNICEF Latin America and the Caribbean regional office (LACRO) to re-evaluate its positioning in the WASH sector in the region within the Sustainable Development Goals’ framework, the new UNICEF global WASH strategy 2016-2030 and UNICEF strategic plans 2018-2021 (global and regional).
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The WASH LACRO 2016-2017 work plan contemplates the strategic review of the regional WASH approach and the formulation of recommendations for the future positioning of UNICEF in WASH in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC).
Between October 2011 and March 2012 UNICEF LACRO has carried out an analysis of the role played by UNICEF in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector in the LAC region, as well as the identification of the added value generated in the reduction of inequities and gaps in access to basic drinking water and sanitation services over the last ten years in order to define its future strategic positioning (2012-22). The review has focused on UNICEF regional intervention in WASH outlined by common patterns in six of the seven countries in the region with WASH programs: Bolivia, Paraguay, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. UNICEF country offices were then given technical support in their strategic planning based on the recommendations of that analysis.
At global level the organization counts with a new 2016-2030 WASH strategy which is aligned with the new 2015-2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). In addition, the next UNICEF global Strategic Plan 2018-2021 is being prepared in 2017, in which the WASH component would be linked to climate change, disaster risk reduction and urban context.
Considering this new external (SDGs, growing focus on climate change, positioning of key WASH players) and internal context (UNICEF WASH 2016-2030 strategy, global strategic plan 2018-2021 and regional strategic plan 2018-2021) UNICEF LACRO needs to evaluate the positioning of the WASH sector in the broader climate change, risk-informed programming and urban context in LAC in order to review its strategic positioning in WASH in the region.
LACRO requires a consultant (or a team of consultants) to carry out this analysis and propose a regional WASH strategy.
Purpose of the Assignment
Support UNICEF Latin America and the Caribbean regional office (LACRO) to re-evaluate its positioning in the WASH sector in the region within the Sustainable Development Goals' framework, the new UNICEF global WASH strategy 2016-2030 and UNICEF strategic plans 2018-2021 (global and regional)./
Under the supervision of the WASH Specialist and the Health Advisor, and in close coordination with the Social Policy Advisor, the Risk Management Specialist of the Emergency Section, the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Section of the UNICEF Regional Office, the consultant (or team of consultants) will be responsible for achieving the objectives detailed below:
The main objective of the consultancy is to support the UNICEF regional office (LACRO) in re-evaluating its sectoral positioning in WASH in the LAC region within the SDGs, UNICEF's new global WASH strategy and UNICEF's new strategic plans (global and regional) framework.
The specific objectives are:
- Update the analysis of the WASH sector in LAC elaborated in 2012 with a view towards adaptation to climate change, the construction of resilience and the rural-peri urban-urban continuum (nonrestrictive list)
- Critical analysis of the positioning of the WASH sector (from the perspective of adapting to climate change, building resilience and the urban context) and the positioning of UNICEF within the WASH sector in LAC.
- Support the regional office to generate a reflection with country offices on the possible strategic guidelines of UNICEF in WASH in LAC.
- Produce a UNICFE WASH strategic proposal in LAC (adaptation of UNICEF's global WASH strategy to the regional context of LAC) and recommendations on convergence with relevant issues such as adaptation to climate change, building resilience and the rural-peri urban-urban continuum
The expected products are:
- A detailed methodology and work plan for the consulting period
- An analysis of the WASH sector in LAC in 2017, by sub-region, taking into account issues such as climate change, resilience building and urban environment and valuing UNICEF contributions in recent years.
- A document presenting the main opportunities of the WASH sector in LAC in the new context of Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change and the rural-periurban-urban continuum and UNICEF opportunities within the sector. This document will support the preparation of the following consultative process and will be the basis of the product 5.
- Consultative process with LACRO, UNICEF country offices and strategic actors to feed the proposed UNICEF WASH strategy in LAC for 2018-2021 based on UNICEF global WASH strategic plan WASH 2018-2021 and the global UNICEF WASH 2016-2030 strategy and with a view towards the SDGs.
- Proposal of UNICEF WASH strategy for LAC for 2018-2021 based on UNICEF global WASH strategic plan WASH 2018-2021 and the global UNICEF WASH 2016-2030 strategy and with a view towards the SDGs.
Desired competencies, technical background and experience
Advanced University degree (PhD or Master) in one of the following areas: i) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion ii) Public Health, iii) International cooperation
Language: Fluent in Spanish (oral and written) and working level in English.
Skills and Experience:
- At least 15 years of proven experience in the formulation and implementation of international cooperation programs in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of international cooperation programs in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector.
- Familiarity with inter-agency and inter-sectoral work in international cooperation, as well as with the United Nations system.
- Familiarity with the water and sanitation sector in Latin American and Caribbean countries.
- Familiarity with the work of the United Nations System, preferably with UNICEF.
- Knowledge and work experience based on the rights-based approach and results-based programming, preferably within the UNICEF framework.
- Preferably, knowledge of UNICEF program policies, procedures, guidelines and terminology.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and with flexibility
- Ability to conduct research, analysis and present complex information
Duration of the contract
Maximum of 4 month starting beginning of April 2017
Travels during the consultancy
The consultant (the leader in case a team of consultants is created) will have to travel at least one time to Panama City. Travels will be coordinated according to the proposed methodology (once approved) and will be paid according to UNICEF travel regulations, separately from the Contract fees.
Consultant work will be home-based and he/she will be responsible for maintaining continuous communication via email, telephone, Skype, according to the activities described. Costs related to these communications will be assumed by the consultant.
Candidates interested must present their technical/methodological (including a work plan) and economic proposals according to the mentioned objectives and products.
Deadline for proposal submission
Offers will be accepted until April 2, 2017 at GTM – 5:00.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Panamá
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Health service
- Closing Date: 2017-04-03