Chief of Communication and Advocacy, P-5, Beijing, China, #51786
We are now seeking experienced and seasoned candidates to drive our strategic communication and advocacy agenda to promote respect for children’s rights, achievement of the SDGs for children, and support UNICEF's mission in China and beyond.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, an advocate
UNICEF and China have a long history of collaboration. In 1947, China became the first country in Asia to welcome a partnership with UNICEF, and our first programme provided emergency relief services to children.
China has the second-largest child population: 14% of the world's children. It's had progress recently, advancing education and health rights, promoting gender equality and reducing poverty. China has reduced its under-five mortality rate by 80% since 1990.
For more information, please visit our webpage: http://www.unicef.cn
We are now seeking experienced and seasoned candidates to drive our strategic communication and advocacy agenda to promote respect for children's rights, achievement of the SDGs for children and support UNICEF's mission in China and beyond.
How can you make a difference?
- Develop a strategic communications plan that frames media activities, including internal and external communications, clarifies and drives the organization's priorities, designs content, and targets audiences, resources, assets and engagement of special advocates /Ambassadors to advocacy priorities.
- Develop and implement clear advocacy strategies and associated work plans to get key children's issues and policy outcomes to audiences at different levels, through various mediums.
- Strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives in China; raise awareness, understanding, support and respect for children's and women's rights.
- Identify, oversee and leverage opportunities / ways to increase positive exposure to promote children's rights with emphasis in particular on growing UNICEF's strategic use of digital media.
- Maintain and continually enhance cooperation and strategic partnerships with journalists and media outlets covering print, TV, radio, web, social media etc for children's rights. Build communication capacity among media and other relevant partners as identified.
- Foster partnerships with individuals, groups and organizations whose support is essential to the development of UNICEF's brand.
- Support global and country level brand awareness and fund-raising activities through management of an effective marketing strategy, content mangement across teams and related activities
- Provide expert advice to UNICEF management and country team on all aspects of strategic advocacy and external relations communication as required.
- Establish baselines against which the objectives of the communication and advocacy activities are regularly evaluated.
- Oversee visits of goodwill ambassadors, national committee representatives and partners, and ensure the preparation of information materials such as press releases, programme summaries, country fact sheets and media kits.
- Effectively manage the communication and digital teams and related financial resources (budget planning, management and monitoring).
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master's or higher) in Communication, Public Relations, or a communications-related field, such as international relations, marketing, anthropology or other related area.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible and relevant professional work experience in communication, marketing, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
- Strong experience in strategic communication / advocacy planning; proven capacity to creatively design and implement effective advocacy strategies.
- Demonstrated experience of using social media platforms to build brands and fan base, and engage with youth audiences is an asset.
- Strong networking and partnership building skills.
- Strong management and coordination skills in a complex multi-organizational setting.
- Experience working with the UN or other international development organization is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish), particularly Chinese is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results. To view our competency framework, please click here.
Do you have?
- Respect for and adherence to UNICEF's core values of Commitment, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity and proven understanding and sensitivity to cultural nuances;
- Interpersonal and team leadership / motivation skills; capacity to build team spirit and bring diverse teams to deliver on shared results;
- Drive for results, setting high standards for the quality of work;
- Capacity to think outside of the box and drive innovation;
- Strong communication skills, fluently and confidently gathering and expressing and writing opinions and information.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Beijing
- Grade: P-5, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Communication and Public Information
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Communication and Public Information
- Closing Date: 2017-09-24