Individual Contractor (9 Months): Communication Specialist
The PFP Communication and Marketing Section provides UNICEF National Committees and fundraising country offices (PSFRs) with guidance and technical support for their public outreach efforts. This individual contractor assignment is being established in the External Communication Unit of PFP’s Communication and Marketing Section to provide transitional support in the context of the Unit having been tasked with ensuring that the UNICEF National Committees strengthen the impact of their external outreach activities, through the development of their communication skills and the identification/implementation of innovative approaches.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
The PFP Communication and Marketing Section provides UNICEF National Committees and fundraising country offices (PSFRs) with guidance and technical support for their public outreach efforts.
This individual contractor assignment is being established in the External Communication Unit of PFP's Communication and Marketing Section to provide transitional support in the context of the Unit having been tasked with ensuring that the UNICEF National Committees strengthen the impact of their external outreach activities, through the development of their communication skills and the identification/implementation of innovative approaches.
Under the guidance of the External Communication Manager, the contractor will:
- act as liaison between PFP Sections/Teams, National Committees, UNICEF country offices, DOC and other UNICEF Divisions as relevant, on innovation in the communication field in general and on outreach through digital channels in particular.
- support the development of a capacity-building and knowledge sharing plan to strengthen the communication skills of staff from National Committees and fundraising country offices.
- support other planned communication activities as agreed with the Head of Unit.
- Provide up-to-date strategic guidance and technical advice to National Committee communication staff on communication trends and innovative/digital communication approaches.
- Coordinate the implementation of a capacity-building and knowledge-sharing plan for National Committee communication staff, including the development and facilitation of workshops held on/off-line (including one annual "Communication Workshop").
- Lead on the implementation of pilot projects in National Committees to leverage innovative communication opportunities, sharing learnings with the broader network and scaling-up projects as appropriate.
- Provide support as needed to PFP and UNICEF global initiatives for fundraising and advocacy purposes by reviewing all digital communication-related aspects, including online communication strategies, content and platforms, advising on appropriateness of approach/messaging and ensuring the integrity of the brand.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of mainstream/social media in PFP and in National Committees.
- Support new National Committee planning process, taking on responsibility for a number of NCs as requested by the Head of Unit.
- National Committees and fundraising country offices receive up-to-date guidance and technical advice on communication trends and innovative/digital communication approaches.
- A minimum of three capacity-building and knowledge sharing workshops are held on/offline, including an annual communication workshop in October 2017.
- Learnings from the Online Influencers Project are compiled and and a follow-up plan is developed.
- In close cooperation with the Section's Market Knowledge Unit, learnings around innovation trends and techniques in the communication field are compiled, turned into actionable knowledge and reflected in a follow-up plan.
The contractor will report to the External Communication Manager.
The assignment is office-based in Geneva, with travel to UNICEF National Committees. No travel is envisaged to UNICEF programmes but the contractor could be asked to undertake it if needs change during the contractual period.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Minimum of five years' work experience in the communication, media relations or marketing areas.
- Experience in the development and facilitation of capacity-building activities for communication staff.
- Recent experience in the development and implementation of campaigns using digital, social media and other innovative communication techniques.
- Background in and familiarity with strategic communication, including the challenges involved in guiding the communication efforts of decentralised operations like, for example, the UNICEF National Committees.
- Understanding and experience of communication for fundraising and policy advocacy purposes.
- First-hand, practical experience in digital media outreach and news reporting for the web is desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Results (LII)
- Communication (LIII)
- Working with People (LII)
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts (LII)
- Relating and Networking (LII)
- Persuading and Influencing (LII)
- Applying Technical Expertise (LII)
- Entrepreneurial Thinking (LII)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.