Grade IS – 5 Duty station Songdo, Incheon - Korea Contract type 3 years Number of posts 1 Recruitment type International
Unit Office of the General Counsel Closing date 9 April 2017 Reporting to General Counsel Vacancy code GCF/Recruit/165 The mission of the Green Climate Fund is to expand collective human action to respond to climate change — the defining challenge of our time. Jointly established by 194 Member States of the United Nations in 2010, GCF invests in transformational projects that build low -emission and climate-resilient economies in developing countries. The Fund will serve as an enabler of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change, channelling significant financial resources to developing countries to make an ambitious contribution to global climate action.
To realize this unprecedented mission, GCF is expanding its workforce. The Fund is seeking exceptional people who will take up the challenge of joining a high-performing organization at the leading edge of the financing of climate action in developing countries.
The Senior Counsel will lead and coordinate the legal work related to institutional and administrative matters of the Fund. S/he will provide legal advice and support relating to insti tutional and administrative matters and assist in the preparation of all relevant legal documents and ensure they are coherent with best practice and the legal framework of the Fund.
Duties and responsibilities
• Coordinate and lead in providing legal advice and support relating to on i nstitutional and administrative matters, which includes matters related to the Fund’s legal framework, human resources and procurement as well as legal support for the Fund’s readiness activities;
• Supports the Fund’s efforts to enter into multi - or bilateral agreements with all country parties to the UNFCCC;
• Draft and review documents under the Fund’s legal framework, including the review of draft Board decisions; • Draft, review and negotiate procurement contracts;
• Assist in drafting and reviewing legal documents relating to the Fund’s readiness activities; • Represent the Fund in contentious matters before the Fund’s Administrative Tribunal or in arbitration; • Participate as member or secretary in committees and working groups;
• Keep abreast of developments in the legal field especially in relation to public international law relating to administrative, institutional or governance matters which might affect the Fund and prepare reports on relevant issues; • Assist in developing internal controls and procedures for the various activities of the Fund; • Instruct and liaise with the Fund’s external counsel in Korea and abroad; and
• Undertake other work as may be assigned by the General Counsel.
Expected experience and qualifications
• Juris Doctor, LLB, or equivalent law degree; qualification to practice law in at least one jurisdiction; • Minimum of 11 years of relevant professional experience, of which at least 5 years at the international level;
• Strong professional knowledge of and relevant practitioner experience in administrative and institutional matters of international organizations. Knowledge and experience from financing and/or commercial contracts is an advantage;
• Experience in contentious matters;
• Curiosity in novel areas of law;
• Ability to work independently and under pressure with a high-level of accuracy;
• Excellent writing, presentation and communication skills;
• Strong interpersonal skills, and highly developed cultural sensitivity in communicating with all levels of staff and external clients, both orally and in writing; and
• Good problem-solving aptitude and creativity; and
• Fluency in English is essential; knowledge of local language and/or another United Nations language is an advantage.
• Planning and organizing
• Building Trust
How to apply
Interested candidates are requested to send their CV and a letter of interest in a single PDF file to: firstname.lastname@example.org
File name: “[last name], [first name]” (e.g. Peterson, Anna)
Subject line: “Senior Counsel”
Applications from women and nationals of developing countries are strongly encouraged.
- Organization: GCF - Green Climate Fund
- Location: Incheon
- Grade: Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-04-09