Shelter Officer - Infrastructure Maintenance "Nationals Only" - Jordan
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
Established in 2012 NRC Jordan’s long-term outlook addresses the problems affecting life as a refugee. We work to build the resilience of Syrians, and to relieve the impact on the Jordanian communities that host them. Syrian refugees in Jordan are struggling. As they contend with difficult living conditions across the country, the obstacles are complex. They struggle to remain registered as refugees, to provide for their families, and to access essential services – including education for their children. The Jordanian communities that host them, meanwhile, feel the impact of hosting high numbers of refugees – with each year that passes, local infrastructure becomes more strained.
Role Specific Information
- Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to staff, specifies their individual work plans and evaluates individual team members’ performance. Or Provides direction, assigns tasks and gives instructions to daily labors and/or contractors and evaluates individual performance.
- Supports the assigned staff in their professional development, identifies training needs, and supports staff to achieve the objectives defined in their learning development plans.
- Monitors the progress of the activities of assigned staff and ensures they are implemented conform planning and quality standards.
- Develops with the assigned team, Monthly activity plans
- Ensures compliance with NRC policies CC tools, handbooks and guidelines.
- Identify, analyse and evaluate processes and gaps in the implementation of activities and make recommendations for improvement.
- Reports over the achieved activities, provides analysis over the performed activities and signal bottlenecks.
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technology, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
- Manages the request process for all maintenance work in the camp in coordination with UNHCR.
- Acts as the focal point for requests for the improvement of camp infrastructure in Azraq.
- Enhances engineering and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Determines engineering requirements by conducting inspections and analytical tests; analyzing and synthesizing data; maintaining control charts; preparing bid specifications.
- Resolves engineering problems by collecting and analyzing information; researching, analyzing, adapting, and modifying engineering techniques; recommending solutions; preparing drawings, schematics, and diagrams; evaluating components, materials, and suppliers; resolving design integration issues; developing specifications and safety standards; performing installations.
- Maintains project team accomplishments by communicating essential information; coordinating actions; obtaining expert input; reviewing open issues and action items; contributing information to team meetings and reports; escalating project completion impediments.
- Maintains and improves quality results by completing quality assurance tests; following standards; studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Prepares engineering reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends; entering data and generating reports and presentations; performing calculations.
Our Ideal Candidate:
We are looking for a university graduate in Civil or Architecture, with a minimum of 2 years previous experience in construction implementation. Experience working in complex and volatile contexts, in particular in the Middle East. Technical expertise relevant to the role. Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities. Very good level of English, both written and verbal.
We are particularly looking for a positive individual with strong communication skills, who can build trust and confidently navigate both internally and externally at different levels.
In this position you will join highly motivated and expert staff who are making a difference to the most vulnerable people in the world's biggest displacement crisis.
Candidates are encouraged to apply early, as applications may be screened prior to the vacancy deadline
Contract period: Through 31st December, 2017
Salary/benefits: 1024 JD's subject to social security
Duty station: Zaatari Camp
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners and to check that its partners have not been involved in illegal activities.
NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
NB: Please enter your specific city of residency in Jordan in your application.
NRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). Offers of employment or job openings with requests for payment of fees are fraudulent. Victims of such scams should report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
For more jobs follow us on Twitter @nrc_jobs
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Zataari
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2017-04-03