JPO 2017/01(P) - Junior Professional Officer - Associate Migration Officer- New York IOM Office to the UN
New York City
Position Title Junior Professional Officer – Associate Migration Officer Duty Station :New York, USA
Classification Junior Professional Officer, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : JPO, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 April 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The International Organization for Migration - Office to the United Nations (IOM Office to the UN) in New York contributes to the political, social, economic and humanitarian debate and action on migration and human mobility within the multilateral framework of international dialogue and cooperation with the United Nations.
The IOM Office to the UN seeks to strengthen IOM’s relations with the United Nations, diplomatic Missions and non-governmental organizations (NGO`s), by contributing to their understanding of migration issues, facilitating international policy dialogues on migration and by bringing attention to migration-related implications in other policy debates on issues ranging from peace and security to human and sustainable development to humanitarian response. In coordination with the Office of the Director General (ODG) and relevant HQ departments the IOM Office to the UN contributes to the development of the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in 2018.
Under the overall supervision of the Director, IOM Office to the UN, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the preparations and negotiations on the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration, to be considered for adoption at the intergovernmental conference on international migration in 2018.
• Only applications from the nationals of Belgium will be considered in accordance with the Cooperation Agreement between the Government of Belgium and the International Organization for Migration on the Junior Professional Officer/Associate Expert Programme. • Candidates must be no older than 32 years of age as of 31 December of the year of application.
• Applications for the Associate Migration Officer will only be accepted in English which is the working language of the Duty Station.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Junior Professional Officer will undertake the following duties:
Page 1 / 3• Contribute to key inter-governmental and inter-agency processes to support IOM’s priorities and objectives on issues related to the Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in 2018.
• Support the Office in developing IOM’s inputs to the process of the Global Compact for Migration.
• Assist in developing and maintaining contacts and networks with relevant UN Member States, UN agencies, civil society actors, and other relevant stakeholders to support information sharing and collaboration on the Global compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in 2018. • Provide regular feedback and guidance to IOM colleagues in Headquarters, regional and country offices on the latest discussions regarding the negotiations leading to the international conference and the adoption of a Global Compact for Safe, Orderly and Regular Migration in 2018.
• Support the preparation of events related to the Global Compact for Migration, including by identifying speakers for side events, preparing background papers and summaries. • Prepare statements and interventions as well as written summaries, and talking points as agreed in each case;
• Identify, develop, coordinate, and submit to the UN Secretariat IOM's inputs for related reports and resolutions, where appropriate;
• Support IOM Office to the UN (NY) at UN meetings of interest (General Assembly, ECOSOC, interagency sessions, informal consultations among UN Member States, various Commissions); • Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master's degree in Political or Social Sciences or International Studies with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Demonstrated experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities; • Excellent communication skills, especially in a multilingual setting; good writing skills; • Knowledge of IOM project/programme activities an asset;
• Have successfully completed the “Infocycle” organized by the Belgian Development Agency. Languages
Fluency in English is required. Fluency in other UN official language(s) is highly desirable. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of Page 2 / 3responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter; Ability to work effectively and harmoniously within a team of colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds. • Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Coaching and Learning Elements
As an integral part of the IOM assignment the Junior Professional Officer will: • Gain experience in an international organization, including management and international cooperation activities.
• Acquire a technical understanding of IOM logistical and legal frameworks.
The Junior Professional Officer will be provided with regular feedback on his/her performance and progress, with special attention paid to goal setting and overcoming challenges Duration
Initial contract of the JPO position is one year. It is renewable up to a maximum of 3 years. Interview Information
Shortlisted candidates are requested to be present in person in Brussels, Belgium for an interview on 15 May 2017.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 April 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.03.2017 to 10.04.2017
Requisition: JPO 2017/01(P)-JPO-Associate Migration Officer-New York IOM Office to the UN (54975818) Released
Posting: Posting NC54975829 (54975829) Released
Page 3 / 3