VN 2017/76 (P) - Chief of Mission (D1) - Baghdad, Iraq
Position Title Chief of Mission
Duty Station : Baghdad, Iraq
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade D1
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 03 April 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
3. External female candidates.
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director of the Regional Office (RO) in Cairo, and in coordination with Operations Support Department and other relevant units at Headquarters (HQs) and Missions in the field as necessary, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for all activities of IOM in Iraq, providing programmatic, strategic, policy, administrative and financial oversight of the Mission. S/he will be IOM's main interlocutor with the Government of Iraq, diplomatic and donor representatives, the UN, other International and Regional Organizations present in the country, as well as local and international NGOs. S/he will be responsible for liaising with the Government and the donor community regarding the full range of IOM activities and services in the country as well as for keeping the RD and HQs departments informed of relevant policy, programmatic developments and migration trends. S/he will be responsible and accountable for developing and promoting IOM's policy, strategy and programming for the country within the overall regional framework. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Page 1 / 41. Represent IOM with senior Government officials, donors, the UN, media, academics, civil society, the diplomatic community and other stakeholders and partners. Advocate and lobby for IOM’s mandate, role, programmatic strongholds and other areas of strategic interest for the Organization. Promote the full range of IOM programmes and direct project design and development in close consultation and coordination with relevant authorities, RO Cairo, HQs and other I0M Missions involved; ensure government endorsement and donor support for current and ongoing programmes and for initiatives.
2. Direct the operational, human resources, administrative, budgetary and financial activities of the IOM Country Office in Iraq in accordance with the Organization’s rules and procedures. 3. Exercise oversight of financial management, expenditure, and budget preparation and ensure appropriate and timely reporting to donors and prepare briefings and background information requested by the RO and HQs, the Government, donors and other entities.
4. Ensure further strengthening of internal controls aimed at preventing fraud and mismanagement in all activities.
5. Play an integral role in migration policy discussions and ensure approved policies are appropriately integrated in national activities.
6. Stimulate, catalyse and support project development through regular stakeholder consultations. Assess the appropriateness and effectiveness of programme development strategies and fundraising and recommend process improvements.
7. Direct and monitor project planning, design and implementation of all aspects of the wide ranging IOM activities in the country. Evaluate IOM's operational activities and prepare recommendations with a view to increasing their effectiveness.
8. Plan and undertake initiatives toward the promotion of IOM's image and activities in Iraq; facilitate and oversee liaison with public media to promote visibility and understanding of IOM's work. Ensure IOM’s continued leading role as a reference point for all migration related topics in the country.
9. Represent IOM at national, regional, international and other high-ranking UN meetings, conferences and seminars. Broaden the network of contacts among senior government officials, international Organizations and partners present in or responsible for Iraq. 10. Engage with, represent and develop IOM’s country-specific strategy and position with the UN Country Team (UNCT), the Humanitarian Country Team (HCT), the Security Management Team (SMT); the consolidated appeals process (CAP) or the equivalent, the Common Humanitarian Action Plan (CHAP), the UNDAF, and other UN related platforms and fora. 11. Ensure that the cluster lead functions are carried out and reported regularly to IOM HQs and to the Humanitarian Coordinator (HC) (through OCHA) or Resident Coordinator (RC) (through the UN Resident Coordinator system) as the local structure requires. As a cluster lead agency in Camp Coordination and Camp Management (CCCM), IOM is accountable to the HC to carry out its responsibilities.
12. Ensure that safety and security management of IOM personnel, facilities and assets in the country office are addressed and that safety/security oversight is provided. Ensure establishment and regular maintenance of a Business Continuity Plan (BCP) within the country. 13. Ensure accountability, timeliness of reporting, monitoring and project funds management. 14. Undertake duty travel to the Hubs/offices within the Mission area, to the RO in Cairo and HQs, in support of programme assessment, visibility and promotion of mission work with counterparts and the resolution of open issues.
Page 2 / 415. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution with fifteen years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in diplomacy, fundraising and public relations, as well as in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities and international institutions;
• Excellent communications skills, both oral and written; ability to prepare and deliver speeches on various activities of the Organization;
• Proven liaison and negotiation skills;
• Demonstrated strategic and creative thinking;
• In-depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
• Knowledge of programme planning, development, and management;
• Effective resource management skills, sound knowledge of financial and business administration and of the principles and practices of management; ability to motivate, supervise and coach/ direct staff;
• Work experience in C, D, and E duty stations; Knowledge and experience on regional migration issues;
• Good level of computer literacy.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Page 3 / 4Other:
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
system, by 03 April 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 21.03.2017 to 03.04.2017
Requisition: VN 2017/76 (P) - Chief of Mission (D1) - Baghdad, Iraq (55014391) Released Posting: Posting NC55014413 (55014413) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Baghdad
- Grade: D-1, Director
- Closing Date: 2017-04-03