Duty Station [Erbil, with travel to Qayyarah, Hammam Al Alil, Kirkuk and Mosul]
We are looking for a highly qualified Liaison Officer who will act as the focal point to coordinate, facilitate and improve administrative and access related processes with local authorities in KRG and Iraq on behalf of the Erbil hub office and it’s subsidiary Field Offices (currently Kirkuk, Qayyarah and Mosul). The selected candidate will need to be able to travel to Kirkuk, Southern Ninewa and Mosul as requested.
Who are we?
Danish Refugee Council is a leading protection agency pursuing our mandate to protect and promote durable solutions to displacement-affected populations on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA), DRC apply a regional approach with operational presence in Libya, Tunisia, Algeria, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria, Turkey and Iraq.
Present in Iraq since 2003, DRC is today operational in the Kurdish governorates, in and around Baghdad and in several South-Central governorates. Focused both on the influx of Syrian refugees and the current IDP crisis, DRC is providing assistance in a range of sectors including Camp Coordination and Camp Management, Protection, Livelihoods, Emergency Response (including food security, cash, and NFIs), WASH, Shelter and Mine Action. The Iraq programme presently employs some 450 national staff and 45 international staff, and is growing to meet new, emerging needs associated with ongoing and recent conflict in multiple locations.
About the job
The Liaison Officer acts as the focal point to coordinate, facilitate and improve administrative and access related processes with local authorities in KRG and Iraq on behalf of the Erbil hub office and it’s subsidiary Field Offices (currently Kirkuk, Qayyarah and Mosul).
- Reports to: Erbil Finance, HR and Administration Manager
- Subordinates: N/A
Duties and Responsibilities
General responsibilities and duties
- Submitting, following and obtaining legal administrative documents (access letters, importation authorizations).
- Maintain up to date information on administrative and access related processes and share information with relevant management staff within DRC.
- Compile requests for access for staff, driver, cargo and vehicles; ensuring that all relevant access letters are kept up to date.
- Under the close supervision of the Head of Office and Finance, Admin and HR Manager; identify and maintain key contacts with various authorities to ease access and other administrative requests, and direct questions for clarification on processes.
- Prepare and submit all requested access letters to be submitted to relevant authorities (JCC, Peshmerga, ISF) to secure access for DRC teams in Kirkuk, Southern Ninewa and Mosul.
- File all obtained access letters, and provide copies to all relevant departments.
- Follow up and alert when access letters are expiring.
- As requested, assist senior expatriate staff with external representation with civilian and military authorities on access related/other administrative issues.
- As requested, translate all official and administrative documents from Kurdish &/or Arabic to English or from English to Kurdish &/or Arabic (written).
- Ensure that the Head of Office is kept up to date with any changes in access procedures, and any relevant safety information is shared.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager;
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Iraq programme Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs);
- Conduct duties in accordance with DRC Code of Conduct.
- An advanced University Degree (Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred) in International Relations, Political Science, Law, Human Rights, Social Development or related field.
- Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills. Ability to form new contacts and to represent DRC, its values and its programs adequately with local civilian and military authorities.
- Good command of Excel and Word
- Understanding of humanitarian principles, IHL and protection, and their relation to access related processes
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and respect for people. Ability to work in a multicultural context as a flexible and respectful team player.
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed.
- A high respect to organisation confidentiality.
- Experience with UN or INGO in a similar position (public relations/liaison)
- Strong knowledge of local authorities processes applicable to INGOs operating in KRG and in Iraq
- Spoken and written Arabic, Kurdish and English are essential
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract until 31-December-2017, renewable dependent on both funding and performance. You must be available to start work from 16-April-2017.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at level D6.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Applications close 10-April-2017. The interviews are expected to take place from 11 to 13 April 2017.
Need further information?
For more details on this position please contact Zhyar Ergushi at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that applications sent directly to email@example.com will not be considered.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-04-10