Senior Principal Technical Advisor – Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM)
The Senior Principal Technical Advisor – Pharmacy Benefits Management (PBM) will develop technical strategies for the Pharmaceuticals and Health Technologies Group in the area of PBM. S/he will lead technical activities including system assessment/analysis, PBM program design, and PBM project implementation. Additionally, s/he will support business development and help manage client relations in this area.
Develop and Lead PHT strategy for PBM program development (20%)
- Identify and define viable PHT/MSH roles that are marketable and profitable for PHT/MSH in the areas of PBM and UHC.
- Identify and evaluate partnering options and negotiate agreements with selected partners.
- Work with PHT Senior Director for New Business to develop a written 2-3 year business strategy with measurable indicators and gain approval from PHT/MSH leadership.
Lead PBM assessments and options analyses and MBM design activities (35%)
- Lead field assessments of PBM programs and manage the processes of analysis and reporting.
- Identify and select local/regional partners to support assessments and options analyses.
- As opportunities are identified, lead the process of PBM program design or revision in priority LMIC’s.
- Gather information from assessments and user specifications, and work collaboratively with the client/system managers to lead the design of management systems, including information technology systems, required to successfully manage PBM programs in LMIC environments, adapting design to the local context and capacities.
Manage project implementations for PBM programs (25%)
- Take responsibility for end-to-end solution delivery.
- Develop work plans and gain agreements on deliverables and timelines with clients, funders and MSH/PHT senior management.
- Manage execution of all project activities through initial scoping work planning through implementation and deployment.
- Identify and address roadblocks and identify solutions to problems encountered.
- Manage change requests/orders and modify work plans accordingly to achieve end results.
- Manage and oversee work of all team members working on project implementation.
- Manage relationships with clients, counterparts, and provide reports to clients, funders and MSH/PHT as specified in the agreed work plan.
Develop new business in the areas of PBM and UHC (20%)
- Work with PHT Senior Director for New Business to identify potential clients and develop working relationships with them to support gaining funding tor new business related to MBM/PBM.
- Lead proposal development to funding organizations for these technical areas.
- Identify opportunities for MSH/PHT to take an active role in managing MBM/PBM programs, develop business plans to at least recover all MSH costs involved (and ideally bring in revenue over expense). Lead the development of such opportunities when approved by MSH and PHT.
- Represent MSH and PHT at major international conferences related to UHC and MBM, and make presentations at these meetings when opportunities arise.**Qualifications and Experience**
Graduate-level degree in any of the following required areas:
administration, computer science, pharmacy or other technical field relevant to PBM programs
At the L Grade:
8-10 years of related experience is required
At the M Grade:
10-15+ years of related experience is required.
At both grades, experience as a successful senior consultant or senior manager focusing on pharmacy benefits programs, with at least 2 years’ experience with international/LMIC PBM programs
Experience in leading assessments and options analyses for the design and/or system improvement interventions for PBM programs.
Experience in evaluating and selecting strategic alliances and partnerships for PBM implementation.
Experience in evaluating PBM information technology requirements and comparing build/buy options.
Experience in assessing and implementing PBM back office management systems, including information technology components.
Experience in developing business proposals to potential clients/donors to obtain contracts and/or funding.
Experience writing technical manuals/papers and articles.
Experience presenting at technical conferences and meetings.
Knowledge and Skills
- Deep knowledge of a variety of MBM claims processing and related PBM management systems.
- Knowledge of available PBM information technology systems, from paper based to completely automated.
- Knowledge of how technology contexts and capacities impact PBM system design and management in the LMIC setting.
- Competency in evaluating PBM software requirements and leading build/buy analyses.
- Competency in leading PBM program assessments and options analyses for designing or reforming PBM programs.
- Competency in managing implementation of PBM projects and programs.
- Competency in leading and supporting implementation of new PBM programs, particularly programs which include management systems adapted to the LMIC setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients, donors, policy makers, system managers and operational staff.
- Ability to write business development proposals and technical reports and publications.
- Ability to represent MSH and PHT effectively at major conferences and to make effective presentations to both policy makers and operational level managers.
- Ability and willingness to travel to LMICs up to 30% LOE
- Organization: MSH - Management Sciences for Health
- Location: Washington D.C
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-04-28