Protection Coordinator (3 positions) - Lebanese Nationals Only - Lebanon
This position is for Lebanese Nationals Only covering three areas: Bekaa, North, and South (1 position per each area).
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and beliefs shall guide our actions and relationships.
- 1. Role and responsibilities
The Protection Coordinator is responsible for implementing, following, and monitoring the implementation of the related protection policy and other relevant initiatives. The position encompasses capacity building, field support, and training delivery relevant to protection cases and matters both on regular and ad hoc basis. The responsibilities also include close coordination with relevant parties on protection related matters and representing NRC in various meetings discussing similar materials.
- Ensure and oversee the overall implementation of NRC’s protection policy at area level.
- Train NRC’s programme and support staff on the NRC’s protection policy and mainstreaming tools.
- Provide support to programme staff on integrating protection at all stages of PCM, ensuring that protection risks are assessed at project design stage and that measures are included to reduce/mitigate risks.
- Review and analyse project data to identify protection trends, reporting, referral (as appropriate), and response.
- Represent NRC at area level in protection working group meetings in coordination with ICLA Project Manager and/or Coordinator, child protection meetings, and gender-based violence sub-groups.
- Ensure continuous updates on local and national news are monitored, assessed, and briefed to NRC staff whenever relevant or applicable.
- Contribute to the design of NRC Lebanon’s accountability framework, ensuring effective beneficiary complaints and feedback mechanisms are implemented and followed up, in close coordination with the Accountability and M&E Coordinators.
- Review NRC’s data management systems to ensure that confidentiality and privacy of sensitive information is assured.
- Promote enhanced understanding of protection issues among all stakeholders and the observance of international protection and humanitarian law standards
- Accompany field staff on beneficiary visits at all stages of the project to apply protection principles, identify any additional protection risks and any unforeseen negative consequences.
- Promote protection risk assessments, do no harm, and effective referral systems in close collaboration with other protection actors at area level.
- Carry out and follow up on the achievement of NRC Lebanon’s annual protection mainstreaming action plan.
- Coordinate, follow up, and carry out regular training/awareness raising sessions for staff and communities on the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse, in close coordination with the HR Team.
- Support program staff at area level on how to identify critical protection cases and create a system for follow up.
• Project and support staff – to ensure effective mainstreaming of protection across all NRC’s programmes;
- M&E & accountability staff – to ensure that protection-related complaints, feedback and referrals from beneficiaries are systematically recorded and pursued;
- HR – to ensure protection is incorporated into staff inductions and work and development plans.
- 2. Competencies
1. Professional competencies
- 3 to 5 years of experience in a similar/related field
- Relevant degree in Law, Social Studies, or Education
- Experience from working as a senior protection staff in a humanitarian/recovery context;
- Extensive experience in training and knowledge transfer;
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts;
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
• Knowledge of the refugee context in Lebanon.
• Fluent Arabic and English, both written and spoken
2. Behavioural competencies
- Empowering and building trust
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Beirut
- Grade: Level not specified
- Emergency Aid
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-04-16