Are you the strong, driven humanitarian leader we are looking for to represent Danish Refugee Council in the Central African Republic? If you have a keen interest and capability to take on this top leadership role developing one of DRC’s largest and most complex country operations - where DRC plays a critical role in providing protection, emergency relief and humanitarian leadership - then we would like to hear from you.
About the programme
DRC has been operating in the Central African Republic since 2007, providing assistance to the displaced and communities affected by the conflict. DRC has three operational bases in the country, in the prefectures of Ouham and Ouham-Pende as well as in the capital of Bangui, with 319 national staff and 35 expatriate staff.
DRC provides assistance to IDPs, refugees from neighbouring countries and other communities affected by the conflict. DRC operates within three main pillars of assistance – emergency relief activities, protection, and socioeconomic recovery. In particular, DRC has extensive protection experience in CAR and DRC aims to comprehensively deal with both the causes and the consequences of protection failures, while at the same time enhancing the resilience capacities of the affected populations.
The Country Director will be responsible for representing DRC’s interests in CAR with the government, donors and other key stakeholders such as in Executive Committee of the NGO Coordination Forum (CCO) and the Humanitarian Coordination Team, where DRC is a member. You will develop and build our programme profile in line with the global DRC strategy. You will also be responsible to lead and direct your team to achieve programme excellence, doing so with an involved and hands-on approach. A key task for the Country Director will be to ensure that the country operation maintains DRC’s emergency response capacity in the volatile environment in CAR whilst progressively expanding DRC’s capacity and role in recovery and durable solutions.
About the job
The primary task of the Country Director will be to lead the operation of presently 12 million USD in this highly volatile and sensitive environment to promote the most effective relief and protection to the conflict and displacement affected populations in CAR. The Country Director will have the overall responsibility for the day to day leadership of the country programme and senior management group. More specifically, the Country Director will:
- Represent DRC in CAR to partners, donors and duty bearers, and to promote an optimal operational space for pursuing DRC’s strategic priorities in coordination with all relevant entities.
- Set the strategic direction of DRC’s operation in CAR in consultation with the HQ Head of Division and HQ support unit and in line with the corporate strategic direction and interests.
- Ensure that the programme is organised and managed in order to pursue opportunities while at the same time operate in compliance with minimum requirements and relevant guidelines.
- Responsible for the timely and efficient implementation, management and reporting on the resources entrusted DRC in CAR by our donors and partners.
- Overall responsible for risk management and especially for the safety and duty of care for national and international staff.
The CD reports directly to the DRC Head of Division in Copenhagen HQ and receives support from a dedicated team based in DRC HQ as well as supporting functions in Security, Emergency preparedness and management, and Donor, Grants, and Risk management.
You have a strong ability to motivate and guide staff working in complex and unpredictable environments and thrive with the capacity building side of your job. You are known to be a strong, confident and collaborative leader who is not afraid to take tough decisions but who operates in an inclusive and transparent manner, which empowers his/her staff and builds team motivation. You have strong strategic planning skills and an ability to drive programme strategy development, working closely with your Head of Programs and the entire programme team. You have a natural talent for working analytically and excel in negotiation, advocacy and communication. Last, but not least, you thrive in complex emergency contexts within insecure environments, and do not lose focus, even under strong pressure.
To be successful in this role you need to have
- Minimum 6 years of management experience in emergency contexts for a humanitarian agency
- Demonstrated security management experience
- Proven experience working with refugees and IDP protection issues, in a situation of violent conflict
- Previous experience from working in the Central African Republic or elsewhere in the region is a strong advantage or in emergency contexts such as Afghanistan, South Sudan, Yemen etc
- Solid experience with - and strong ability to provide senior management oversight of - key operational functions (finance, HR, logistics, procurement)
- Relevant educational background (e.g. political science, international development, economics or other)
- A strong ability to collaborate, network and negotiate with Local partners; Governments, UN, donors and other NGOs including proven experience in developing fundraising strategies
- Fluency in French and English.
All employees should master DRC’s core competencies
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values
Conditions - We Offer
- Availability: May 1 2017 or as soon as possible thereafter
- Duty station: Bangui with extensive travel to other parts of CAR
- Contract:12 months with possibility of extension. This is a Non-Family Duty Station
- Salary level: Salary level A6 and a competitive benefits package in accordance with the Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriate Staff.
You are welcome to contact Programme and Operations Coordinator Maria Pade Lange by telephone +45 3373 5121 for additional information about the position.
Please note that applications are not to be sent to Ms Lange. We only accept applications sent via our online system accessible at www.drc.dk/Vacancies. Applications sent directly to Ms. Lange will NOT be considered.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website www.drc.dk.
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of nationality, race, gender or age.
Please note that the Candidate must be fully proficient in French and English at a professional level. Candidates that do not meet this requirement will not be considered for the post.
Only motivated applications that address the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications, sent together with a CV, will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies/Current vacancies/ Country director CAR.
Please send your application, in English and marked “CD – CAR”, no later than April 23rd 2017.
Please note that short listing and interviews and selection may take place before the end of the vacancy period, therefore we encourage interested candidates to apply as soon as possible.
Problems with on-line application?
Please contact email@example.com, if you have questions to the application process or experience problems with your on-line application.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Bangui
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-05-14