Justice Sector Support Project Director, CAR
ABA ROLI seeks candidates to fill one Justice Sector Support Project Director position based in Bangui, Central African Republic. The Justice Sector Support Project Director will ensure timely and accountable implementation of activities for the continuation of a DRL-supported program that seeks to assist Central African government partners to improve the capacity of justice actors and to support planning and coordination among justice sector institutions. He/she will work with representatives of the Ecole Nationale de l’Administration and de la Magistrature (ENAM) and the ABA ROLI curriculum development consultant to facilitate the development of context appropriate training curriculums that will improve the knowledge, skills, and competencies of Central African justice actors. In addition, the JSS PD will work with government representatives and civil society counterparts to facilitate coordination and participatory planning through a series of retreats and coordination meetings. The JSS PD will also ensure compliance with ABA ROLI and donor rules and regulations and will ensure timely and quality reporting on program achievements. A successful candidate will have demonstrated competencies to plan, manage, monitor and oversee programming in a complex and evolving environment.
- Oversee and manage all aspects of the program implementation, ensuring compliance with donor regulations and local law.
- Develop project work plans and ensure the effective and accountable implementation of program activities.
- Lead the planning and coordination of workshops on standardization of paralegal and documentation services with the overall objective of improving documentation of human rights abuses and increasing the provision of paralegal services. This responsibility may entail collaboration with the MoJ, Center for Research on Human Rights and Democratic Governance, and relevant civil society to improve documentation so that it meets evidence standards established by the Special Criminal Court and relevant domestic courts.
- Lead program initiatives to improve the technical capacity of justice actors by improving the quality of trainings for judges, prosecutors, and court clerks. As such, the JSS PD will contribute to an initial ENAM and training curriculum assessment, and will collaborate with the ABA ROLI curriculum development consultant to gather resources and produce a context-relevant training curricula for judges, prosecutors, clerks.
- Lead program activities to work with judicial counterparts to develop and introduce judicial oversight and mentorship initiatives.
- Support information sharing and coordination among key justice institutions by leading planning and implementation of quarterly justice coordination meetings and ad hoc committees.
- Liaise with key government and non-governmental justice sector actors, including the Ministry of Justice, the judiciary, and local civil society organizations to foster participatory planning of retreats and coordination meetings. The JSS PD will maintain relationships and ensure program buy-in;
- Assist and support the formulation of an implementation strategy that clearly develops workplans and articulates deliverables with defined roles and responsibilities for all stakeholders;
- Track, report on, and develop updates that ensure dissemination of program timelines, workplans, deliverables, and successes.
- Other duties as assigned.
• Juris Doctorate in law, or equivalent; or Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Project Management, Economics or development-related field;
• Minimum three years of legal experience and /or experience in management of a governance support program or a related field;
• Experience working in a multi-cultural environment, preferably in Africa, and the ability to thrive in a challenging political environment;
• Ability to communicate fluently both orally and in writing in French;
• Proven capacity for planning and program monitoring, problem solving, and organizational skills;
• Ability to work proactively with minimal supervision;
• Consistently high level of professionalism, initiative, judgment and discretion.
Experience working for an association, NGO, or other not-for-profit entity;
Proven experience organizing and coordinating high-profile events an asset;
Knowledge of the justice sector, legal system and socio-political context of the Central African Republic;
Curriculum development experience a plus;
English language fluency is preferred.
*Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to follow up with candidates who are selected for interviews. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and this position may be filled prior to the close date.*
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Mr. Richard Kambale, Country Director of ABA ROLI in the Central African Republic to the email address Richard.Malengule@abaroli.org.