VN 2017/82 (P) - Programme Coordinator (Capacity Building) (P3) - Khartoum, Sudan
Position Title Programme Coordinator (Capacity Building)
Duty Station :Khartoum, Sudan Classification Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 12 April 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission in IOM Sudan, the direct supervision of the Head of the Migration Management and Development Unit, and in close coordination with colleagues from IOM Sudan and the IOM Regional Office in Cairo, the successful candidate will be responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the Capacity Building Programme on migration management targeting relevant institutions and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Establish and maintain contact with the Ministry of Interior, coordinate the implementation of capacity building initiatives on border management and mainstream trainings within national border management training programmes.
2. Maintain contact with and coordinate the implementation of capacity building initiatives on counter trafficking and smuggling in collaboration with the Ministry of Justice, the Judiciary and the National Committee to Combat Trafficking (NCCT).
3. Provide advice and assistance to Government of Sudan (GoS) counterparts on the Page 1 / 4organization of competency-based training needs assessments and development of training modules and programmes in the above activities.
4. Plan, manage, coordinate and implement targeted capacity development for NGOs in support of their efforts to provide effective assistance and services to migrants. 5. Design and ensure the delivery of training and capacity development activities for IOM Sudan Migrant Resource and Response Center staff and partner organizations based on needs identified.
6. Manage and backstop the administrative and financial processes and activities of relevant projects, ensuring that spending is within available budgets and making adjustments where required.
7. Carry out and ensure the timely recruitment and training of national and international contractors and consultants relating to the projects in accordance with IOM's procedures and regulations.
8. Undertake duty travel, in line with prevailing security restrictions, relating to project and needs assessments, liaison with counterparts, problem solving and project implementation. 9. Produce regular project narrative reports, briefings and background information requested by the Government, donor(s) and other entities, as well as draft financial reports in accordance with project reporting requirements.
10. Follow up on and ensure the identification of priority needs and the discussion and resolution of migration management related issues.
11. Promote and negotiate strategic and technical partnerships with relevant Government entities, private sector and civil society partners, UN agencies and other stakeholders, to strengthen IOM’s capacity building on migration portfolio in Sudan.
12. Design and develop project proposals with particular focus on components relevant to knowledge development and capacity building.
13. Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Affairs or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or • University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience of capacity building and organizational development work in multinational settings; • Experience of planning and delivering training sessions;
• Experience working in field environments;
• Demonstrated experience working with institutions, multi-donor agencies, developmental partners and non-state actors.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of IOM/UN languages is an advantage. Page 2 / 4Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
system, by 12 April 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 30.03.2017 to 12.04.2017
Page 3 / 4Requisition: VN 2017/82 (P) - Programme Coordinator (Capacity Building) (P3) - Khartoum, Suda (55023436) Released
Posting: Posting NC55023452 (55023452) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Khartoum
- Grade: P-3, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-04-12