EFSVL GLOBAL ADVISOR, EARLY WARNING & ACTION (Barcelona) Ref 122/16-17
Oxfam works with others to overcome poverty and suffering. As an Oxfam employee, you will join a team of professionals that is part of the international confederation of 18 organizations networked together in 94 countries.
Oxfam is looking to fill the position of Emergency Food Security and Vulnerable Livelihoods (EFSVL) Advisor to be part of Oxfam Global Humanitarian Team (GHT). The GHT works across Oxfam and supports countries and regions in their response to crises and supports them in emergency preparedness to become more resilient to future shocks and stresses.
The EFSVL team supports regional and country offices and our partners with technical advice on emergency food security and livelihoods preparedness and response to create stability and build resilience in slow and rapid onset, and protracted contexts. We develop and disseminate technical tools and standards to ensure programme quality and to retain Oxfam’s leadership in our key thematic areas of work. We provide a technical steer to the organisation to ensure that we maintain ourselves as a leader in our thematic programme areas.
This position is one of Oxfam’s 7 global EFSVL advisors, responsible for leadership in the thematic areas of EFSVL related to Early Warning and Early Action (EWEA), ensuring program quality, and providing technical support to country and regional teams to improve planning, response and evaluation of programming in emergencies.
The global advisor will spend about 40% of their time as the organisational lead for Early Warning/ Early Action with an EFSVL focus, leading on strategy implementation, quality assurance, capacity building, global representation and influencing, research and innovation, knowledge management, and more, for this thematic area.
Global advisors are typically first responders for large humanitarian emergencies, either in their focus countries or for other Category 1 or 2 emergencies in non-focus countries.
The EFSVL global early warning/ early action advisor will work closely with Oxfam EFSVL staff at country, regional, and global levels, management staff, EFSVL HSPs, other teams in the GHT (i.e. PHP/PHE, Gender, Protection, DRR, MEAL, Cash, Capacity Building, Humanitarian Coordinators), humanitarian policy and advocacy teams, long-term economic development teams, ICT staff, Resilience Knowledge Hub, and other key staff/teams in Oxfam in order to fulfill the responsibilities of this position.
Specific areas of responsibility are outlined in the five categories below.
Lead the delivery of Oxfam's humanitarian strategy
Support countries and regions to respond to Category 1 and 2 humanitarian responses
Support country teams to build their humanitarian capacity
Lead and coordinate the representation of Oxfam in global humanitarian bodies, processes and debates, including global partnerships
Track humanitarian information, learning and knowledge developed in responses, research and global fora and ensure these are actively shared and managed internally and externally
For more detailed information the job description can be provided.
QUALIFICATION AND EXPERIENCE
· A postgraduate qualification in a relevant field, e.g. MSc in fields related to food security, nutrition, economics, geography, humanitarian studies, agriculture or other technical livelihoods/food security related area, and proven record of overseas emergency project implementation
· At least 5 years’ practical experience in emergency food security and livelihoods, including in assessment, analysis, and program design; preparedness and early warning; technical standards and best practices. Experience with development programming is preferred.
· Knowledge and experience in at least two core thematic areas including cash-transfer and market-based programming, social protection; agriculture and livestock; food aid; and/or nutrition.
· Strong demonstrable technical experience in slow onset, rapid onset, and chronic/protracted crises and complex emergencies, in both rural and urban settings;
· Theoretical knowledge and proven practical experience with capacity building issues
· Ability to effectively advise and support field staff and partners using methods such as mentoring, coaching, shadowing, demonstration, accompaniment, training, written advice, verbal advice, research and development;
· Enhanced collaboration and networking skills
· Well-developed strategic, planning and analytical skills;
· Proven influencing and negotiating skills with internal and external audiences in complex and stressful circumstances;
· Good communication and interpersonal skills, together with the capacity to remain calm under pressure and not lose sight of strategic priorities;
· Ability to travel, often at short notice and in difficult conditions, for up to a maximum of 12 weeks per year, with exceptional deployments of up to six weeks;
· Working knowledge of Spanish. Arabic and Portuguese or other languages is desirable;
· Fluent written and spoken English and French are essential
What can we offer you?
Contract: Contract for 12 month renewable. Spanish labor contract
Annual gross salary: HAY 10 (32.829 Euros).
Social benefits: Medical insurance and Accident and life insurance when travelling in the field missions.
Holidays: 28 working days / year (in 2017)
Working place: Barcelona Head Quarters (Oxfam Intermon) With 20-30% travel worldwide.
Incorporation: As soon as possible
Applicants must – due to legal reasons – hold EU citizenship or valid EU residence permit and a valid Spanish work permit. Applications not meeting these conditions can unfortunately not be considered.
Send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put the reference that corresponds in the subject box of the email: ref. 122-16/17
The deadline for applications is fixed on April 17th, 2017. Oxfam reserves the right to modify this date. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Oxfam is committed to the principle of equity, diversity and inclusiveness.
- Organization: Oxfam Intermón
- Location: Madrid (Mexico)
- Grade: Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position - Mid/Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-04-17
Nay Pyi Taw | Kenya (Myanmar)
Gaza (Palestinian Territory)
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Mid/Senior - Internationally recruited position
Manila | philippines (Philippines)