Senior Technical Advisor - DDG Iraq
The Danish Demining Group (DDG), the specialized unit within the Danish Refugee Council, one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, is currently looking for a highly qualified Mine Action Technical Advisor to support DDG’s mine action programming in Iraq. The Senior Technical Advisor will be responsible for a dynamic operations team, and will be involved in bringing on board new innovations to support operations, including the use of mobile information management technology for survey and clearance activities.
About the job
DDG has been present and operational in southern Iraq since 2003 with a broad Mine Action portfolio - Technical Survey, Battle Area Clearance, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Mine Risk Education and capacity building of local NGOs and national authorities. Since January 2015, the activities are relocated to central Iraq and KRI to meet the needs of the Iraqi IDPs and Syrian refugees.
DDG Iraq’s main goal is to assist the GoI, the DMA (RoI), IKMAA (KRI) and the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) in supporting national priorities for Mine Action Interventions and the transition to national ownership.
The Senior Technical Advisor (STA) has the primary function of providing technical advice to the national staff (or local NGO project partners) under his/her responsibility. The purpose of providing this technical advice is to develop the capacity and technical knowledge of the national staff within DDG and other implementing partners. The objective of building technical knowledge and capacity within the national staff is to ensure that the correct and safe Mine Action practices are followed and sustainable supervision and management capacity is developed within the organisation.
It is important that the STA does not take over tasks and responsibilities of the national staff/partners under his/her supervision, but rather monitors and ensures that these tasks and responsibilities are carried out correctly, efficiently and effectively.
Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Daily management and supervision of the operational activity, including analysing operational statistics and reporting.
- Assist the Operations Manager in the planning and tasking of activities
monitoring and evaluation of all MA activities including:
- Assisting the Operations Team in the planning and tasking of operational assets
- Ensuring the correct and appropriate deployment of operational assets
- Monitoring the procedures and quality assurance of operations
- Ensure that priorities set by the DDG programme and the national Mine Action authorities are met and the requirements of the donors and beneficiaries are taken into consideration
- Mentor, manage, monitor and supervise the national staff ensuring that they carry out their duties in a responsible manner in accordance with SOPs and their job description
- Monitor and analyse productivity and report back with recommendations for improvement
- Deliver and monitor, where applicable, training to build capacity within the national staff in consultation with the DDG Operations Manager (OM) and the Country Director (CD).
- Internal quality assurance of EOD, NTS, and MRE teams and providing corrective action where necessary.
- Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures and perform quality assurance
- Implement security measures in accordance with the security plan and coordinate with the OM and the CD
- Support capacity building of local NGO partners through training and mentoring
To be successful in this role we expect you to have a strong background in project management and strategic planning.
Moreover, we also expect the following:
- Excellent command of project management activities, with proven record of achievements
- The ability to translate strategic plans into programming
- A minimum of 5 years substantial documented professional technical experience in mine action operations
- Good computer skills including Excel, Word, Access, GoogleEarth, and ArcGIS
- A minimum of EOD Level 3
- Experience – or interest in - humanitarian/development work
- Strong administration and organizational ability
- Excellent management and personnel skills – a calm and diplomatic disposition will be preferred
- Ability and flexibility to understand the cultural and political environment and to work well with the local authorities
- Ability to work independently and still be a good team player
- Willingness to live and work in remote and isolated area under basic conditions
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Working experience in Iraq, or in a similar challenging work environment.
- A background in training
All employees should master DRC/DDG's core competencies:
- Taking the lead
- Striving for excellence
- Demonstrating integrity
Contract length: 12 months, with the possibility of extension.
Level: B2-B5 (base salary, plus Per Diem, Location Allowance, Explosives Allowance, regular Rest & Recuperation benefits, comprehensive insurance, and Annual Home Leave)
Duty Station: Iraq – KRI or RoI.
Start date: As soon as possible
For further information, please contact the DDG Regional Manager, Lene Rasmussen, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For general information about the Danish Demining Group and the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.danishdeminingroup.dk and www.drc.dk.
Interested? Go to www.drc.dk and find Current Vacancies. Find the job on the list and apply for this position by clicking on the apply button.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English, through the DRC HR Manager system. Please note that applications sent by email to DRC/DDG staff will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 15th April, 2017
Please contact email@example.com, if you experience problems with your online application.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Closing Date: 2017-04-15