SVN 2017/65 (P) - Project Officer (MIDAS and IBM) (P2) - Geneva, Switzerland
Position Title Project Officer (MIDAS and IBM)
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 April 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo
Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia,
Guyana, Iceland, Cambodia, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya,
Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Mauritania, Maldives, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, United Republic of Tanzania, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela
(Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa
MIDAS is IOM’s own Border Management Information System and is steadily expanding, not just on the African continent, but also in South America. The position of Project Officer will monitor the proper administration of the MIDAS programme, follow up on the support required by offices in the field that are implementing MIDAS, and contribute technical inputs for the development of a marketing strategy.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division and the direct supervision of the Senior IBM-BIS Specialist, the successful candidate will provide support to the implementation of the Migration Information and Data Analysis System (MIDAS) portfolio and other Border and Identity Solutions (BIS) activities. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Provide support and assistance for the various phases or components of the development and implementation of the MIDAS portfolio. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, provide information and assist with arrangements required for the recruitment of technical specialists responsible for installing and servicing MIDAS. Page 1 / 32. Assist with the development of a marketing campaign and the creation of a uniform MIDAS information and assessment package to be distributed internally and to interested donors and countries. Participate in presentations to Government Officials in order to help drive an increase for MIDAS funding. Follow up with external providers to ensure the timely delivery of high quality materials, monitor contracts through to completion and liaise over regular updates to materials.
3. Contribute to the development of the HBM portfolio by selecting and summarizing background information, assessing the local context for the planning and administration of projects and activities, drafting segments of project proposals, following up on support to the field and to those developing related projects, and liaising with relevant HQ Divisions and Departments as required.
4. Prepare technical inputs and draft materials for Divisional and Departmental organisational literature including Fact Sheets, Reports, External Publications, General Policy and Guidance Notes.
5. Provide similar assistance to the Counter Migrant Smuggling portfolio, and the Border Security and Counter Terrorism field.
6. Organize and coordinate various events resulting from the CMS portfolio. 7. Provide technical inputs and assistance to the ACBC in connection with current or new initiatives that require Headquarters (HQs) intervention or support, including the marketing and commercialisation of the second Passport Examination Procedure Manual.
8. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience conducting independent research;
• Experience drafting socio-scientific reports and papers;
• Experience in working with border, law-enforcement or military institutions or experience of working in the subject area in an IGO;
• Experience organizing logistics for events or conferences;
• Strong computer literacy in MS Office, especially MS Word.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; Page 2 / 3• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 April 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.04.2017 to 16.04.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/65 (P) - Project Officer (MIDAS and IBM) (P2) - Geneva, Switzerland (55026260) Released
Posting: Posting NC55026283 (55026283) Released
Page 3 / 3
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: Geneva
- Grade: P-2, International Professional
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-04-16