Legal Counselor (National Staff Only)
We are looking for a highly qualified candidate who can fit the position of Legal Counselor in DRC Bekaa Office
Who are we?
Danish refugee council has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa for over a decade, running a combination of livelihood, protection, advocacy and relief projects. DRC has six project offices throughout Iraq, Lebanon, Syria, Tunisia/Libya, Turkey, and both a country and regional office in Jordan.
DRC Lebanon has been assisting the Syrian displaced, fleeing Syria into northern Lebanon, since May 2011. This assistance has come through the provision of food and non-food items, various outreach activities (registration, follow-up and awareness sessions) rehabilitation of collective shelters and the implementation of quick impact projects.
For further information about DRC, please refer to our website: www.drc.ngo
In Bekaa you will find one of the most historical places in the world such as the Baalbak temple. It is also a safe and relaxing environment but at the same time very close to Beirut.
About the job
The Legal Counselor is expected to providing the best possible legal aid including preparation of legal documents, legal counseling related to the legal status of person of concerns and House Land & Property rights, and legal assistance in accordance with client’s best interest with the aims and principles of DRC and the legal context of Lebanon, and conduct legal awareness sessions for beneficiaries.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop and disseminate informational materials including legal services and civil documentation, residency and HLP issues in particular
• To provide individual legal counseling services for beneficiaries in legal issues related to:
a) Housing, Land and Property Rights (HLP),
b) Legal identity including legalization of necessary documentation to access rights and services (residence permit, marriage registration, birth registration, etc)
• Prepare legal documents for beneficiaries
• Ensure capacity building for the protection staff to provide basic counseling, delivering legal awareness sessions and mediation.
• Work closely with Protection team and provide legal awareness sessions in collaboration with protection department to ensure the refugees are aware about their rights.
• Familiarize him/herself with the aims and principles of the DRC and with DRC duty procedures, staff regulations, the Code of Conduct, and Humanitarian Accountability Principles (“HAP”) and observe these in the performance of his/her duties.
• Inform refugees and asylum seekers about project activities and their legal rights and counsel them on means by which they may receive assistance from DRC, partner organizations, or the government
• Provide monthly reports to the Protection Manager on activities and numbers of beneficiaries reached.
• Promote rights of refugees, asylum seekers and other persons of concern and ensure best possible application of international human rights standards
To be successful in this role you must have Prior experience in working with or coordinating with other international humanitarian organizations or governmental authorities
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Moreover we also expect the following:
• University degree, preferably with the specialization in international human rights law and/or international refugees law
• University Degree in Lebanese Law/ International Law
• Familiarity with international protection and human rights legal standards
• University Degree in Lebanese Law/ International Law
• Registered at Lebanese Bar Association and not less than three years (practicing civil law and family law)
DRC will offer the successful applicant a contract until 30th of April 2018. You must be available to start work starting 1st May and be willing and able to work in Bekaa.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates and Nationals; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. This position will be placed at consultancy level based on experience and qualifications with maximum 16 working days per month.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or go to www.drc.ngo under current vacancies.
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 16th of April 2017. The interviews are expected to be on rolling basis, DRC reserves the right to begin interviews before the application closing date as soon as they shortlist a qualified candidate, in addition the position can be filled and closed before the application closing date.
All interested applicants are encouraged to apply for the position as soon as possible.
Need further information?
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.ngo
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Akkar
- Grade: Level not specified
- Human Resources
- Legal - Broad
- Closing Date: 2017-06-19