WASH Team Leader
Title: WASH Team Leader
Reports to: Project Manager
Location: Gambella- Pagag Entry Point
Start of Contract & Duration: 6 months with Possibility of Extension
Posting date: April 5, 2017
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world, including Ethiopia. DRC fulfills its mandate by providing direct assistance to conflict-affected populations, including refugees, internally displaced people and host communities. Under its mandate, the organization focuses on emergency humanitarian response, rehabilitation and post-conflict recovery.
DRC commenced work in Ethiopia in 2009 and currently provides expertise in shelter, WASH, livelihoods and protection in the Gambella, Tigray and Somali regions of the country. Activities implemented by DRC are funded by money raised from the Danish public and by project grants from the Danish government and other bilateral and multi-lateral donors.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the WASH Team Leader will lead the emergency WASH response in areas of intervention by DRC, providing urgent lifesaving water, sanitation and hygiene to vulnerable persons (Refugees and Host Community).
- Supervise and coordinate the field implementation of WASH program activities mainly in refugee settlements (e.g. Installation of water tanks ,latrines , pits, waste managements , environmental campaigns);
- Plan (daily and weekly) the field activities, supervise field staffs and community workers and any potential contractors and ensure a follow-up of the different activities regarding the agreed planning, guideline, and required quality of the works;
- Ensure that all measures have been taken and rules followed to ensure security on-site;
- Assist Wash Team in the direct implementation of project activities (water quantity and quality monitoring, environmental sessions and Hygiene sessions);
- Provide the expertise and contribute to the improvement of activities through critics, analysis and suggestions;
- Assure the adequate compliance and adherence to available SoPs and Guidelines;
- Participate in coordination meetings, team workshops and lessons learnt seminars;
- Carryout other additional duties as assigned;
Assessment, monitoring & evaluation of activities
- Assess regularly the WASH implementation and determine adjustment needs;
- Collect any relevant information from the communities and partners in the area for improved service delivery;
- Analyze and monitor the results of the WASH activities;
- Participate in the needs assessment and the selection of the beneficiaries according to minimum standards;
- Responsible of the communication between DRC and the Communities regarding the implementation of the WASH activities;
- Introduce the WASH activities to the Communities and organize the necessary meetings with different stakeholders;
- Responsible for the adequate mobilization and implementation of the soft WASH activities (the information sessions and campaigns related to hygiene and health promotion, waste management and others).
- Supervise the field officers, and community workers and ensure the respect of all human resources rules;
- Manage the Wash Officers/Workers working on the wash activities in the supported facilities and in the communities;
- Coordinate the work of all field staffs and community workers dedicated to these activities: weekly/daily planning explaining during weekly/daily team meetings and daily planning prepared at least the day before to maximize the officers’ efficiency;
- Monitor regularly the Wash officer’s work by constantly visiting to the areas of intervention and getting feedback when not directly on the field;
- Train new Wash Field Officers/Workers on the activities implemented in the framework of the project;
- Solve team conflicts in coordination with line manager, if any, and ensure team building;
- Support each Wash Field Officer/Worker in improving his/her performance
- Conduct appraisals every 12 months with each Wash Field Officer/Worker;
Logistic & administration
- Define the needs in materials and tools regarding the program and the planning of interventions;
- Ensure the follow-up and the proper use of materials and tools used during on-site works;
- Manage the supply of materials to the work site in collaboration with logistics department;
- Report on the security incidents in the area and inform the Line manager and the Security focal person;
- Collect all information and reports on the progress of WASH activities on a daily basis;
- Prepare weekly report in on the progress of activities ;
- Report immediately any delay, problem or other relevant information to the line manager;
- Communicate with the other sectors to homogenize the methodology and the conditions of intervention;
- BSC degree in hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, public health, water supply and sanitation engineering or other related fields.
- Relevant technical background and experience in emergency response contexts in the WASH sector and at least 4 years of experience;
- Good knowledge in one of the WASH pillars;
- Proven experience managing teams in complex environments;
- Good knowledge of the MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook;
- Experience working with or for NGOs, particularly international humanitarian organizations in refugee / IDP contexts (e.g. camps and collective shelters);
- Proven experience managing teams in complex environments;
- Basic computer skills ( MS Excel, MS Word, outlook);
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a hostile/complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member;
- Familiarity with international humanitarian and protection standards (e.g. Sphere);
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Positive and professional attitude, able to organize, maintain and prioritize work under pressure and able to work in an insecure environment;
- Self-motivated and organized;
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills;
- Excellent communication and organization;
- Systematic planning and analytical skills;
- Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
- High regard toward preserving confidentiality of work-related information and data;
- Ability to understand the cultural context of the community, Experience in participatory techniques and community mobilization;
- Proficiency in spoken and written English and Amharic is essential; Knowledge of the local language is advantageous.
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on www.drc.dk under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated email no later than April 16, 2017.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.dk.
We encourage all qualified Ethiopian National candidates only to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit. It is DRC policy to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals, as well as administer any and all personnel actions, without regard to gender, race, national, clan or tribal origin, religion, age, sex, origin or ancestry, marital status, social status, sexual orientation, or status as a qualified disabled individual.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Singapore
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-04-16