International Communication for Development Consultant, P3 , ABUJA
This vacancy is for non Nigerians only
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
To identify and strengthen engagement of religious leaders and religious institutions of different sects in 14 polio high risk states, to enhance acceptance of vaccination and other health services.
Specific Project Objectives to which the consultant is related:
- To map religious leaders and religious institutions of different sects in 14 polio high risk states, to enhance acceptance of vaccination and other health services
- To organize and sensitize leadership and local representatives of various religious sects different level, state, LGA, ward and community level.
- To organize advocacy/sensitization meetings/workshops for religious leaders on promoting vaccination, other health services and AFP surveillance.
- To support/facilitate development of IEC materials, including fatwa booklets.
- To get support of religious leaders for Pre, during and post IPD monitoring and supportive supervision and resolution of NC/MC.
- To ensure the activities of RFPs with religious leaders and institutions include AFP surveillance and notification of AFP cases.
- To produce periodical reports covering activities implemented for religious leaders.
- Map the religious leaders of different sects and religious institutions (residential, non-residential, weekend Islamic/Church schools) at different levels (states, LGAs and wards) of polio high risk 14 states.
- Establish an estimate of eligible children studying/staying in religious institutions.
- Advocate/Liaise with the religious leaders/institutions of different sects in different states to ensure their support for polio eradication programme at all levels, use their influence to enhance acceptance for vaccination and other health services and overcome non-compliance due to religious reasons.
- Promote the concept of engaging religious leaders of various sects among implementing partners to facilitate representation of religious leaders in all committees, working for programme at all levels to ensure their support for polio eradication programme in polio high risk 14 states.
- Provide technical support to RFPs working at the state and LGA level for evidence based /planning, implementation and monitoring of their activities.
- Support RFPs to the design, preparation and use of locally appropriate communication material targeting religious leaders/institutions for promoting vaccination and other health services and AFP surveillance.
- Regularly monitor/report anti OPV rumors/campaigns from the religious perspective if there is any and advise measures to mitigate the situation. Produce a monthly report capturing all the activities conducted with religious influencers/institutions and results achieved.
- Support state leads in monitoring and reporting of activities of state and LGA RFPs, track vaccination coverage in religious institutions
- Undertake any other relevant tasks related to the programme, assigned by supervisor.
- A detailed work plan at the beginning and monthly work plans thereafter (1st week of each month)
- Monthly report (4 pages) of RFPs activities, outcomes, mission reports and Note for the Record (NFR) on meetings etc. (monthly)
- One report after each IPD by using a supplied template on social mobilization intervention implemented for religious leaders/institutions and the results achieved. and other social mobilization indicators
- One end of contract PowerPoint presentation to be used in debriefing with Chief of Field Office, Communication for Development Team and other relevant staff members.
- One end of contract Report
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced degree in theology, Islamic/religious studies, social work, social sciences, mass communication, public health. Experience of communication/social mobilization in Polio programme is an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years progressively responsible professional work experience at national and international levels in social mobilization programme planning, management and monitoring, preferably for health programmes.
- Fluency in English, knowledge of another UN working language is desirable.
- Ability to conceptualize, innovate, plan and execute ideas, as well as and teaching skills to impart knowledge to others.
- Good analytical, negotiating, communication, advocacy, computer, managerial and supervisory skills. skills, including internet navigation and various office application
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Abuja (Nigeria)
- Grade: International Consultant - Consultancy
- Closing Date: 2017-04-19