Education Project Officer - Kakuma (Kenyan Nationals Only)
The Project Officer is responsible for follow up of Education activities at Kakuma office and will participate in planning, designing and implementation of Education programmes and initiatives.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Job description• Monitor and report on the project activities and ensure compliance with plans and NRC standards
• Mobilize communities and community leaders to participate/support in education project activities and initiatives
• Suggest new methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities
• Report all protection related concerns
• Carry out data collection as required
• Prepare and file relevant documents according to procedures
• Create awareness among the refugee and host community on the importance of NRC education programmes.
• Create awareness among the refugee and host community on the e-Hub project.
• Work closely with other NRC departments and other stakeholders for more effective and efficient implementation of interventions.
• Develop clear monitoring mechanisms which will ensure that clear data is gathered on the enrolment and retention of newly enrolled children.
• Mainstream, document and integrate sound M&E procedures in all aspects of the project
• Ensure newly enrolled children are mentored according to plans
• Ensure establishment and provide support to children’s forums in selected schools.
• Ensure timely procurement and distribution of education materials as per project plan.
• Ensure timely implementation of the project activities as per work plan.
• Conduct meeting with education stakeholders and develop strategies for bringing out of school children to school and ensuring their retention in school.
• Ensure proper documentation on all project interventions.
• Take part in the strategic planning, scheduling, assessments, monitoring and evaluation of the NRC Education projects
• Participate in project planning and review.
• Participate in assessments and/or surveys relevant to the program
• Participate in development and design of new education projects in Kakuma
• Introduce/support new technologies, approaches and innovations approved by NRC.
• Represent NRC at relevant coordination meetings as may be delegated to you.
• Participate in project proposals writing.
• Supervise distribution of training materials and other requirements on time.
• Compile project progress reports as may be required.
• Promote good working relationship with other stakeholders.
Qualifications• At least a University degree in education or related field from a reputable institution and a minimum of 3 years’ post training experience in education management.
• Experience of working with Education projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Knowledge about own skills/profile
• knowledge of English language
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
Personal qualities• Good community mobilization skills
• Project management skills.
• Excellent communication (spoken and written) skills
• People management skills
• Conflict management skills
• Possess cultural awareness and sensitivity
• Strong organizational and team working skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Knowledge of local Turkana language will be an added advantage.
We offer• Duty station: Kakuma
• Contract period is up to December 2017 with possibility of extension.
• Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Kakuma.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Kakuma
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Emergency Aid
- Education and Training
- Closing Date: 2017-04-21