Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Manager
Habitat for Humanity International is recruiting a Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning (MEAL) Manager to support its operations in Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA). Reporting to the Associate Director of Program Effectiveness, this person adapts and implements MEAL guidelines and tools throughout EMEA and ensures compliance with organizational standards. The purpose of the position is to support the improvement of program and project efficiency and effectiveness, decision making and learning through Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning.
As our ideal candidate, you bring exceptional cross-cultural communication skills in order to work effectively with Habitat staff across a variety of countries, especially in Africa, and you also understand how to integrate metrics and indicators into project design and the critical thinking needed to analyze the data and demonstrate effectiveness and impact. While you have a solid understanding of research and evaluation methodologies, you also have experience bringing that knowledge into the field working directly with staff.
Location: Pretoria, South Africa. Candidates must be currently authorized to work in South Africa.
Travel: up to 30% travel, mostly within Africa.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Strategy and planning
- Ensure that policies and standards are understood and adhered to at all stages of program design, implementation and evaluation.
- Develop, implement and advocate for strategies that measure program and project impact, identify areas of strength and opportunities for growth, and promote best practices in MEAL.
- Adapt MEAL methodology, approaches and tools, and provide support and guidance to area office and national organization staff to ensure their proper use.
- Collaborate with other departments and national organizations to ensure that MEAL is properly integrated into program and project design, implementation, reporting and learning.
- Lead initiatives and activities that build capacity through the effective use of MEAL.
Monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
- Provide research, planning and evaluation guidance and tools for the implementation of new and pilot shelter delivery programs, and assist with research and analysis for the development of new programs.
- Provide support to area office and national organizations in program/project design for the incorporation of proper MEAL.
- Conduct feasibility and baseline studies and research for new program development.
- Lead or participate in program and project evaluations and impact studies, and assist in the development of tools and methods.
- Prepare terms of reference for external evaluators.
- Create minimum documentation requirements for project MEAL, and track reporting for assigned portfolio of projects. Support the team in timely preparation and submission of reports to donors.
- Provide support and/or undertake field visits to monitor the implementation of activities.
- Compile data sources, employing collection and analysis of monitoring data. Review project data collection and reporting for data quality and make recommendations for improvement.
- Document and share lessons learned.
- Participate in relevant communities of practice and collaborate with counterparts with HFHI globally.
- Develop partnerships and collaboration with housing and human settlement related and social development related research organizations and institutions for studies of the impact of improved housing conditions.
Establish a network of country level external evaluators/contractors. REQUIREMENTS:
Bachelor’s degree in a related field, especially in the social sciences, social work, or program evaluation areas.
5+ years of experience in similar positions, preferably with a development organization.
In-depth knowledge and experience in monitoring and evaluation, accountability, learning, research and evaluation methodologies, standards and practices (preferably in relation to human / social development or housing and human settlement).
Familiarity with qualitative and quantitative data analysis and statistics.
Advanced MS Excel experience.
Ability to work effectively within a multi-cultural team.
Fluency in English, written and spoken, is essential. Proficiency in French is an advantage.
Decision-making and problem solving skills.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Willingness to communicate the Christian principles of Habitat for Humanity as a faith-based organization.
Short-listed candidates will be required to provide a professional writing sample where s/he was the author or main contributor.
- Master’s degree in a field related to social sciences, social work, or program evaluation.
- Academic qualification relating to housing and human settlement planning strongly preferred.
- Project management experience.
- Adult training and facilitation skills.
- Experience transferring skills.
- International experience strongly preferred.
To be considered for this opportunity please be sure to apply directly at : https://www.habitat.org/about/careers/monitoring-evaluation-accountability-learning-meal-manager
- Organization: Habitat for Humanity
- Location: Southern Africa
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Accounting (Audit, Controlling)
- Closing Date: 2017-05-10