WASH /Shelter Assistant ( National Position ) Aden - Yemen
The WASH/Shelter Assistant (Hygiene Promoter) will assist the WASH Project Officer in providing support in the development of NRC’s WASH programming particularly on Hygiene Promotion activities as guided by the WASH strategy and context and will assist the Project Manager in overall planning and design of on-going projects and future projects. The WASH / Shelter Assistant(Hygiene Promoter) role is the primary community entry and community engagement role.
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
- Assist in conducting the WASH assessments to determine scope of work, resource requirement and estimated cost, including in the identification public health risks in the community.
- Conduct household surveys in order to identify newcomers and new participants to the Hygiene Promotion sessions.
- Take part in the identification of beneficiaries for the WASH activities ( distribution of water tanks and water filters, distribution of hygiene kits).
- Conduct Population data surveys and Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) surveys related to hygiene and provide inputs for the development of the questionnaires and methodology.
- Enter data in the Analysis Software / database.
- contribute to weekly and monthly reports and other ad hoc reports to meet donor and internal requirements; maintain an accurate reporting and data management of activities (including an updated attendance sheets for HP sessions).
- Mobilize communities’/refugee population to participate in WASH construction/promotion activities as appropriate.
- Support distribution of hygiene promotion materials and other in kind WASH supplies.
- Sensitize communities on good hygiene practices with key messages focusing on cholera response like handwashing, safe disposal of solid wastes and excreta, latrine cleaning, diarrheal diseases prevention, etc. as adopted from time to time depending on the prevailing public health situations.
- Participate in the development of information, education and communication (IEC) materials relevant to the context; with appreciation of cultural norms and beliefs.
- Coordinate with the HP officer and M&E team to gather and use existing success stories that highlight NRC interventions for donors.
- Help plan and carry out needs assessments, baseline studies and periodic studies, and feedback findings to the stakeholders.
- In charge of the supervision of daily worker/contractors/community HP volunteers with the support of the Officer.
- In charge of the day to day field implementation of the projects activities with the support the Officer.
- Help plan activities to improve people’s living condition.
- Collate data from the incentive workers and prepare regular reports on activities and Shelter conditions for monitoring.
- Liaise with community leaders and other sectors and agencies working locally in order to coordinate within the Shelter sector and between sectors such as WASH and Food Security.
- Preparation of reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation.
- Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of essential WASH /Shelter projects activities
- To assist and participate in community mobilization.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected community to allow the agency to be held to account for the quality of the WASH /Shelter program.
- He/she will conduct the HP sessions in the targeted areas including the HP sessions addressing the children to help them acquire safer hygiene behavior.
- Assist the in implementing the behavior.
- Experience from working as a Hygiene promoter in a humanitarian/recovery context. Elementary technical knowledge in Water Engineering, Public Health . Diploma or Technician certificate in either Civil or Mechanical Engineering.
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts. Proven practical experience in community engagement water and sanitation work. Community engagement and supervising contractors or community volunteers involved in WASH work and at least 1 year preferably with an INGO.
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities.
- Some knowledge of English.
- Civil engineering / construction
- Academy college / University
- Can prioritize tasks and manage pressure.
- Can work with different community groups-women, youth, elderly without feeling intimidated.
- Strong context assessment skills and ability to communicate to the office in time.
- Able to communicate, collaborate and share tasks with other NRC (Shelter, Education, FSL and M&E) and other NGO field staff.
- Handling insecure environment.
- Planning and delivering results.
- Empowering and building trust.
- Communicating with impact and respect.
- Strong communication skills and self-confident to speak in public.
- Able to work under pressure and for extended working hours.
- Strong analytical skills, able of making decisions.
- Takes initiatives, has creative thinking and focuses on solutions rather than problems.
- Open to learning and criticism, willing to improve where needed.
- Strong leader and a good team player.
- 6 Months with possibility of extension subject to funds.
- Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
- Travel: More than 150 days travel
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Aden
- Grade: Services and Support
- Emergency Aid
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2017-04-20